For you radiant heat fans...

What's that sticking out from under the bench in the bullpen and dugouts at the Twins new Target Field?
    Name:  Target field bullpen heat.gif
Views: 261
Size:  15.7 KB

Yep. Radiant tubing from Uponor made right here in Minnesnowta.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Heated benches! Sweet!!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if it's outside - what a waste! Seems as if people are very adept at finding new ways to waste energy when we need to do the opposite.

Of course it's outside. If it were inside, they wouldn't need the heated seats. You're not bursting my bubble. I didn't mention the 38 miles of pex under the playing surface. The minimal amount of heat utilized in those benches doesn't make a dent in the amount of heat needed to keep the root zone temperature above freezing during a Minnesota winter.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

And there are legit health reasons for the small energy expenditure.. Hemorrhoids anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    And there are legit health reasons for the small energy expenditure.. Hemorrhoids anyone?
    Huh? You call them hemorrhoids in Canada? I figured as cold as it gets up there you would call them Polaroids!

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but if it's outside - what a waste! Seems as if people are very adept at finding new ways to waste energy when we need to do the opposite.
    Sorry to burt your bubble... but it's a much better solution than using radiant overhead space heaters to direct warm air and infrared heat towards the players. It's much more effective to heat a plastic bench to about 90F and you can use a more efficient and cheaper energy source like natural gas or geothermal.

Keeping a player that being paid up 6 or 7 figures to perform, warm and comfortable, is a very good investment.

I bet your talking what 200 BTU's per foot of bench? Big deal.

nah - let 'em freeze; the players and spectators. Outdoor heat is stupid.

Want to be warm? Go to an indoor event for god's sake.

you act like its the first stadium to get it. old hat man.

It is the first and only Major League baseball field with a heated playing surface. And, who you calling an "old hat man"?

I realize it's old technology. Lambeau Field has had it since 1967.

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    It is the first and only Major League baseball field with a heated playing surface. And, who you calling an "old hat man"?

I realize it's old technology. Lambeau Field has had it since 1967.
    I disagree with you. Safeco field is built much the same way and it's over ten years old.

I stand corrected then. I was reading an article somewhere that stated Target Field was the only Major League baseball stadium to boast a heated playing surface. Maybe it was the only open air stadium to have such a claim?

Maybe it's because Safeco, being owned by the city, is thought of as a multi-use facility.