Post Likes

Tuning Siemens loop statements

New to tuning pid loops in insight. I know which parameters to tune, but I would like an example of where to start. Temp sensors 20 to 120f I think. Control valves 0-10vdc. Most of the statements are around 500,5,0. Is this a good place to start? What numbers would you guys use and how did you come about them? And finally a little insight on how to tune the loop. All your help is appreciated.

Post Likes
    Can anybody help?

Post Likes
    P of 500, I of 5 and D of 0 is a standard staring place. The type of sensors and output don't affect the loop and although they say there is a way to calculate the numbers in the MMI menu I usually just adjust them until it works the way I want

-Jeremy

Post Likes
    I assign virtual points to the P, I, and if used D so I can tune the loop without re-downloading program. Become good friends with the dynamic plotter. It has helped me tune many loops as long as you are on insight and not datamate. Good luck

Post Likes
    What version of insight are you using? Have you tried the ADAPT statement?

Post Likes
    I have an older 3.6 version. We have been phasing out Siemens and replacing it with Automated Logic. I have seen the new adapt statement, but cannot implement it in my facility.

Post Likes
    When I was working at Siemens I would use the following procedure.
    1. Set P to a large & probably outrageous value, I & D set to zero.
    2. Adjust P down until you get the smallest P value without hunting. You may not reach set point.
    3. Adjust I up to get the the most stable loop output without hunting.
    I found the D value didn't need to be more than 0 for most applications. I helps if you modify the loop statement to use virtual points for the P, I & D values when tuning the loop & then hard code the final values in loop statement to finish the tuning.

Post Likes
    We have the latest version of insight 3.12. We have some programs that use adapt statements for fan speed control. I tried to use an adapt on a cooling valve loop one time and it just seemed to be very erratic.

I will try the P 0 0 method and see how that works.

Most of our temps stay with-in a degree high or low most of the time with about 2 or 3 overshoots per hour. It may not get any better than that. You guys tell me

Post Likes
    Try using 3,3,9 for the tuning variable on the adapt statement. These numbers seems to be stuck in my memory from when I did it last.

Post Likes
    The numbers to properly calculate for the ADAPTIVE S or M loops depend on the equipment being used and should not be guessed at. guessing can lead to a very unstable and unreliable loop. I can try to publish the tuning spread sheet on here. As well as the proper way to calculate the numbers for a PID Loop.

Post Likes
    That would be awesome. I'll keep an eye out for it.