Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Ammonia Refrigeration Technician CyberCoders•$40,000 - $60,000Today

This jobs been on for about a year. wonder why they cant fill it?
    eventu rerum stolidi didicere magistro

Probably because most refrigeration engineers know they are worth more, especially when dealing with a refrigerant that could kill you pretty darn quick.

Tack on another $25k in this area and you will get a few responses.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

If you're working as a non-Union Ammonia Refrigeration Tech for anything less than 33% over Svc Jm wage equivalent, then you're crazy. To much to risk, not worth it.

ammonia 'tech'?

what is that? check temp, and oil in compressor?

emptying 50 gall of oil from a low pressure receiver is hardly 'tech' work IMHO.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    $40-60k for an ammonia tech??
    I kn

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    ow techs in my company are on 30-40% over that...

$40k is n

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
    ammonia 'tech'?

what is that? check temp, and oil in compressor?
    Nah, we do a few more things than just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nh3 Refrigeration Tech View Post
    Nah, we do a few more things than just that.
    are you a tech or mechanic?

are you a tech or mechanic?

I'd consider myself a Technician (Although my actually title is Refrigeration Manager). The main differences between a Refrigeration Mechanic and a Refrigeration Tech (In my opinion) is that a Technician would normally read the manual prior to an install, where as the Mechanic would just go ahead and install the unit and wonder why it didnt work afterwards. Another would probably be that a Mechanic would typically get a unit back up and running by changing out parts until he finds the right one, a Technician would diagnose the problem and change the bad part the first time. Which isnt nearly as bad as it sounds. The Mechanic's approach to fixing or installing a unit is what teaches them to be good Technicians later on in their career. All of us at one point or another has been a Mechanic. Because to be a good Technician is to have been a good Mechanic, learned your mistakes, and apply what you have learned from your expriences as a Mechanic to your current and future expirences as a Refrigeration Technician.

But to recap, in order to succeed in Refrigeration ALL of us pretty much need be a both a Mechanic and a Technician. Can't be good at one without being good at the other.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, as these are only my opinions.
    Last edited by Nh3 Refrigeration Tech; 10-30-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Quote Originally Posted by Nh3 Refrigeration Tech View Post
    I'd consider myself a Technician (Although my actually title is Refrigeration Manager). The main differences between a Refrigeration Mechanic and a Refrigeration Tech (In my opinion) is that a Technician would normally read the manual prior to an install, where as the Mechanic would just go ahead and install the unit and wonder why it didnt work afterwards. Another would probably be that a Mechanic would typically get a unit back up and running by changing out parts until he finds the right one, a Technician would diagnose the problem and change the bad part the first time. Which isnt nearly as bad as it sounds. The Mechanic's approach to fixing or installing a unit is what teaches them to be good Technicians later on in their career. All of us at one point or another has been a Mechanic. Because to be a good Technician is to have been a good Mechanic, learned your mistakes, and apply what you have learned from your expriences as a Mechanic to your current and future expirences as a Refrigeration Technician.

But to recap, in order to succeed in Refrigeration ALL of us pretty much need be a both a Mechanic and a Technician. Can't be good at one without being good at the other.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, as these are only my opinions.
    Interesting evluation.

Although I don't agree with what you say, my company issued business cards that titled refrigeration 'tech', I told them they need to relabel as mechanic.

IMHO I don't think tech holds weight to a mechanic, I might be arguing symatics, just my opinion.

Interesting evluation.

Although I don't agree with what you say, my company issued business cards that titled refrigeration 'tech', I told them they need to relabel as mechanic.

IMHO I don't think tech holds weight to a mechanic, I might be arguing symatics, just my opinion.
    I actually brought this topic up at our Refrigeration Meeting today, and I asked all my Refrigeration Techs if they thought there was a difference between a Ref Mechanic and a Ref Tech....needless to say this is a topic that Refrigeration "Folks" alike will NEVER agree upon. I had 50% of my Techs say that there was a difference and that they thought Mechanics were superior to Techs and the other 50% said the exact opposite. Interesting arguement none the less and a great way to shoot the bull for 30 extra minutes at your next meeting, but as a whole, I'm pretty sure Refrigeration "Folks" will have to agree to disagree when it comes to this topic. But either way, as long as they get the job done safely and the Systems runs properly, I could really care less what they call themselves.

Take it easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast