Veterans in Piping Program (VIP)

Has anyone heard anything about this program?

http://www.uavip.org/

I am a UA member (Plumbers and Steamfitters local 22, Buffalo, N.Y.) and have heard of this as well as the "helmets to hardhats" program (also offered by the UA). Both are excellent programs geared toward placing our veterans into a rewarding career and providing education to match. Highly recommended programs.

the ua is looking at a shrinking pool of young people who want to work in the trades, and good men who are disciplined and need good paying jobs. its a win-win. both programs are aimed at helping our vets

Is it an active program, even in the these difficult economical times. The reason I ask is because I don't want to fill something out just to have it sit there forever without moving anywhere. From what I understand the trades are going through a period were work is dried up just like everywhere else.

I contacted a Veteran program called "Veteran Green Jobs" but it was kind of a crock IMO. The program seemed a little shady and seemed sounded like a sales pitch.

They were very secretive about the program details, program length, and they bragged about the companies supposedly lined up around the corner to hire it graduates. However, I was told he couldn't give me any details about the types of companies who are looking to hire its graduates. (Like its a trade secret)

That experience has me kind of weary of Veteran based programs. Kind of got me thinking its a way for these educational programs who are trying to reap the benefits of cashing in on the POST 9-11 GI Bill, and not so inclined to actually help the Veterans themselves.

Construction is not booming right now, but this is still a great oppurtunity. Welders are in high demand, and this program is geared toward putting pipe welders to work, once accepted, you enter the apprenticeship program to learn the pipefitting trade. Some of the best welders I know are also the best pipefitters and vise versa. Once you're in, you work hard and learn whatever you can, and as long as you perform, you should stay off the unemployed list. From my experience, the men who are good at what they do, and put in a fair days work everyday, remain employed even through the slow times. This isn't like the UAW where things are based on seniority, You work hard, contractors know it, you work. You slack off and just do your time, you're the first one riding the bench. You won't have to weld pipe forever if that's not what you want, but it's a great, good paying skill to have to fall back on. There's so much more to the trade. I suggest you investigate this, talk to your local, you can find them on the web. Some locals will have a link to their current wage and benefits, check that out and tell us what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean129 View Post
    Is it an active program, even in the these difficult economical times. The reason I ask is because I don't want to fill something out just to have it sit there forever without moving anywhere. From what I understand the trades are going through a period were work is dried up just like everywhere else.

I contacted a Veteran program called "Veteran Green Jobs" but it was kind of a crock IMO. The program seemed a little shady and seemed sounded like a sales pitch.

They were very secretive about the program details, program length, and they bragged about the companies supposedly lined up around the corner to hire it graduates. However, I was told he couldn't give me any details about the types of companies who are looking to hire its graduates. (Like its a trade secret)

That experience has me kind of weary of Veteran based programs. Kind of got me thinking its a way for these educational programs who are trying to reap the benefits of cashing in on the POST 9-11 GI Bill, and not so inclined to actually help the Veterans themselves.
    the ua program wont cost you anything. the apprenticeship is free.
    it will not require you to use your gi bill.
    you will work your 40 hrs with a contractor as an apprentice and you will go to school 2 or 3 nights a week for 5 years. earn while you learn. it almost seems to good to be true. but it is true.
    there are always up and downs in the economy. i'm a third generation fitter and my family has always lived well, even with economic swings. if you want to be in the building trades it is the way to go. good luck and if you get the opportunity you will have a good career and make alot of money, and get the chance to work with and learn from the best.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

I agree with all everyone above. It's a great program, join up if you can.

construction has slacked off, but will be coming back strong. in some areas, it already is starting to move. the program is geared toward getting good men back to the trades. think about this...you can earn a decent wage as a pipefitter/welder, benefits, retirement etc. they give you a free education, and find you jobs for the first five years. WHY, you may ask. well, it seems that everyone is predicting a labor shortage in the very near future. the feeling is that returning military are already trained to be men, to work hard, lead, and follow orders right?, now bring them into the family of the ua, and you have good men filling the employment ranks, who need to be employed asap, with many having families, committments etc. once you complete the apprenticeship, your work ethic will keep you employed. trust me on that. as a member and owner, i know the value of men who show up to work everyday and do something. in this so called "down" economy, we had our best year ever in 09, up thirty percent from 08. my guys work hard, and laugh at me every time i tell them slow times are coming. we havent seen slow times, and this year is looking like its sprinting out of the blocks.

Well it's been about a month since I submitted my online application to the VIP and still no word. I checked the website to see if there was a link or something that would provide a point of contact, but no luck finding one.

I contacted H2H and I was told to contact the program director of VIP in Washington DC. Seems a bit drastic IMO. I just wish there was some information flow. Bad news is better than no news.

Plobably have better luck contacting your local union hall for info. I know here in Dallas we had some vets come through the VIP when I was in school.
    Local 100

Dean129, did you ever get the information you were looking for?
    You and any other vet on here should check out http://www.careers4vets.com/ and feel free to contact them for more information if you have any questions...

have been on jobs with several guys who came in this way. they are definately assets due to already having been trained in discipline and hard work, as compared to young men right out of school.