Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Bacnet

First Bacnet

HI guys I'm workin on my first bacnet job and having some connection issues, I have Walker Technologies 1616 board with BACnet IP daughterboard going to a switch then to a Basrt-B BACnet IP to MSTP router and tryin to control a couple johnson speed drives. I have tried sniffer programs like VTS BDT and Wireshark to discover the drives but all I ever see is the router, and I have BMBB turned off in router cuz it says not needed for a small system. Now the drives only have index# and macid# to pick from to address this thing am I supposed to combine the two to make an address?

Is this basically your setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

exactly the only thing I have working is another device on the IP network is a trane chiller which works fine.

If you can not see the devices on the MS/TP trunk, then it's either a router setting that is wrong or the MS/TP devices are slaves and unable to respond to your "who is."

I would check to make sure that the router is using the same port number as your IP devices (likely 0xBAC0 which is 47808). I would also make sure that the devices are actually up and "talking" on the MS/TP trunk- you can either sniff it or if they have LED's on them you can verify that they all are flashing both the rx and tx lights.

I checked the drives and they are definetly masters right now and the router port is using bac0 as for MSTP COMS the transmit LED is busy doing its thing but not so much on the recieve so it might be network setting of somekind, Johnson drives have index number and macid number only to address them by so thats where I think I'm going wrong. The basrt router is on mstp network 2001 so I set the first drive to index number 2000 and macid to 1 thinking that would see it but nope

Then I would sniff the MS/TP comms. If the router is at a different baud rate or there are two with the same mac address you will see the issue immediately.

I set all the bauds at 38400 and the mac in the router is 0 and I only have 1 drive connected right now for testing purposes so that mac is at 1 also the jumpers in the Basrt-b router are all on so its terminated on the one end but it looks like there are also termination jumpers on each drive as well I think they come from factory off.

Thats all interesting, but if you don't actually look at the comms all we are doing is speculating.

the jumper on the drive looks like it was in on position so I switched it out but still no discovery. I even have a temporary wire about 20 feet long goin from a make shift desk with the laptops on it to the one drive I have connected so It can't be the install, and its only 2 wire so it can't be terminated wrong pos to pos neg to neg

Quote Originally Posted by Budlight-Electric View Post
    I set all the bauds at 38400 and the mac in the router is 0 and I only have 1 drive connected right now for testing purposes so that mac is at 1 also the jumpers in the Basrt-b router are all on so its terminated on the one end but it looks like there are also termination jumpers on each drive as well I think they come from factory off.
    Have you tried something other than zero for the router address?
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

ya 1 and 100 and 1000 and 6

Besides sniffing the network which is usually the 1st step.
    What makes you think for sure that your drive is talking bacnet?
    I am not familiar with jci drives, but usually a lot of drives, not all, need to have a parameter or dip switch set in the drive for it to start talking on the network.
    May be your drive talks N2 or Modbus by default and you need to set a parameter to switch to Bacnet.

May be worth double checking that.

The optcj board in the drives is johnsons latest stuff BACnet MSTP

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast