+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern BC

Post Likes
    I am thinking of relocating my family from Vancouver to Northern BC. Prince George or Fort St John. I am a fourth year apprentice and cant see myself buying a 450,000 house here in Vancouver. The market has gone out of reach for the average working guy.

Does any one have any insite to places I can move where there is plenty of work and there is decent pay with benefits AND housing is affordable?

I currently love my job, the guys I work with and for and the pay and benefits are great. Its killing me paying rent though.

Any ideas?

How about Kamloops?

Post Likes
    I don't know about work there but if I could I would move to Smithers in a heartbeat.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure how affordable you will find Fort St. John, they are having quite a boom. Don't know about Kamloops. Places like Parksville on Vancouver Island are affordable and the Werners in Nanaimo has at least 4 postings for apprentice to journeyman. Just a thought.

Post Likes
    I used to live on the island - Comox and north end. Send me an
    email. I would like to talk more.

Post Likes
    no e-mail in your profile.

Post Likes
    Thats fixed now.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by newgage
    I am thinking of relocating my family from Vancouver to Northern BC. Prince George or Fort St John. I am a fourth year apprentice and cant see myself buying a 450,000 house here in Vancouver. The market has gone out of reach for the average working guy.

Does any one have any insite to places I can move where there is plenty of work and there is decent pay with benefits AND housing is affordable?

I currently love my job, the guys I work with and for and the pay and benefits are great. Its killing me paying rent though.

Any ideas?

How about Kamloops?

Hey Newgage
    If you are looking at relocating to some where houses don't cost 1/2 mill, Kamloops is a great place to move to.
    We are looking for 1 plumber, 1 refrig teck and anouther sheet metal installer as well as a field estimator.
    I"ll send you a e-mail with my phone #'s.
    Give me a call and I can send you some info
    We are all here to learn!

Post Likes
    Hi,
    How are you making out with your job search? What is it you do?
    My company is located in the central interior of BC. We're looking for a few good men(or women). I am looking to add 3 permanent full time positions to our existing team of 7 installers and service techs;
    2 - Refrigeration mechanics with BC gas certification.
    1 - Plumber/pipefitter with BC gas certification.
    will also consider gasfitter service technician or HVAC service tech with BC gas T.Q.
    Base rate is $25/hr up to $40/hr, DOE, extended medical/dental, monthly tool allowance, DPSP & RRSP program, company vehical.

Average rental here for a nice 3 bedroom home on acreage starts at $650. Average home prices for the same start around $120,000. It's considerably less costly here than in Prince George, Ft. St. John or Kamloops and our climate is a lot more temperate. But hey, check out the following sites and links and see for yourself.

Call or email for more information.

http://www.city.quesnel.bc.ca/
    http://www.quesnelchamber.com/
    http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...es/quesnel.htm
    http://www.northcariboo.com/
    Keep between the ditches. For every mile of road there's two miles of ditches.

Post Likes
    check with rsl in victoria/bby/van
    theres a sheetload of jobs

nanamio kelona port alberni - I'd say you could go anywhere.

I offer this advice though. FINISH YOUR APPRENTICESHIP FIRST. yes I am shouting at you
    get your TQ first don't let anyone tell you otherwise

last piece of advice

go union if you can - I'm sure all the non union people will bleat their hearts out but in BC union plan is the way to go - generally the co's that are union are better to work for - not always but usually (IN BRITISH COLUMBIA)

Any way good luck
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Hey one thing I know about Kamloops is that the sheriff is really cool--we played scrabble online a lot. He's Dave someone, unless he's not the sheriff any more. And I also have a scrabble friend in Nanaimo. BC scrabblers are tough, but they're also good sports.
    Last edited by OregonYeti; 03-12-2007 at 11:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in