Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Me Find New Thermostat

I am thinking that my aux heat is kicking in too much. I thought perhaps a newer thermostat with an outdoor sensor might help a bit.

I have a heat pump with back up electric heat in the air handler. Due to spouse illness, I want a thermostat that keeps as steady heat as possible, plus or minus 1. I would like a thermostat that is lit all the time, not just when I hit a button.

Any ideas of what I should look at? Thanks.

My advice would be to have a pro. Come out & install a TCONT802/803 or Honeywell 800 series t-stat! What heat pump system do you have?

what stat do you have now?

if you want a steady temp, especially with a heat pump, set it at that temp and do not change it.

if you were my customer I would try to see if the stat you have will light continually and NOT sell you a new stat for that reason alone. now if stat is an issue or you insist then there are may options that budget will play into.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Most stats will require a common wire connection to the furnace to enable the continuous back light feature. Many of the pro grade write rodgers/emerson thermostats have this capability. I haven't seen anything sold at the big box stores that can do it.

I have a goodman compressor, ammana air handler, and a RTH3100C1002 meter.

Skip the Honeywell 8000 series. Go with either the Honeywell IAQ of HD. If you want a consistent temp with no droop before the aux heat is brought on, they will do it, the 8000 series won't.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Skip the Honeywell 8000 series. Go with either the Honeywell IAQ of HD. If you want a consistent temp with no droop before the aux heat is brought on, they will do it, the 8000 series won't.
    Did you mean the 3000 series or did you misread my post? Thanks.

duckman was recommending an 8000 series. Thats why I put in about the 8000 series. Your RTH3000 is a box store stat. And has droop before bringing in aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

Yes but do any of the Honeywell products have a constant illuminated panel?

Yes they do. it can be set to constant in the installer set up menu.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yes they do. it can be set to constant in the installer set up menu.
    as long as it is also wired properly on the 8000 series or below!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Well, I certainly like Honeywell products. I installed a complete alarm system using all their products and couldn't be happier.

Now, which specific 8000 model do I need? Again, it is a heat pump, aux heat backup electric, ac. Thanks.

The reason I stated that I would choose the 8000 series honeywell is simple. Cont. Backlight on is a option as long as you have a common wire. This is a great t-stat for heat pump system with programmable mode.

What system do you have? Is it variable speed, single speed??? If variable speed i would choose the 803 model as it has humdity control. If you have single stage motor then i would choose the 802 t-stat. 803 has humdity control with works great with
    Variable speed if installed and set up properly! If you have single stage/fixes blower then go with the 802 same t-stat just diff. Options.

I have installed 100's of both with no problems as long as installed and set up right. Just my 2 cents!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast