Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 55
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    14
    Was cold. I have never seen a compressor like that one, 3 ph with an external protector on one leg (same as in single phase ones). As I said, the protector never closed and I jumped it, well I got a grounded compressor, braker popped, then kicked compressor and there was no more ground to it, just one winding opened. Well, it's been one month now, the new compressor is doing just fine, got it under warranty, if cope and finds something wrong on my side, then I should hear from them...maybe. Thanks for suggestion, beer cooler for construction dudes, it might have happen. I didn't want to go back to the job site so that's why I shut it off the way I did, guess I learned something new by now...was cold out there that day...high roof, etc. Thank you guys for being thoughtful.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal241 View Post
    Was cold. I have never seen a compressor like that one, 3 ph with an external protector on one leg (same as in single phase ones). As I said, the protector never closed and I jumped it, well I got a grounded compressor, braker popped, then kicked compressor and there was no more ground to it, just one winding opened. Well, it's been one month now, the new compressor is doing just fine, got it under warranty, if cope and finds something wrong on my side, then I should hear from them...maybe. Thanks for suggestion, beer cooler for construction dudes, it might have happen. I didn't want to go back to the job site so that's why I shut it off the way I did, guess I learned something new by now...was cold out there that day...high roof, etc. Thank you guys for being thoughtful.
    So out of curiosity, did the new compressor have the same "overload" configuration as the dead one?

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    14
    You are kidding me, I like that, Duhhh. Man that was funny, I'm licensed and now my ****. RST97C1E TA5. It came out of a RLH125M44E. I will get off my high horse and do what I do best without your answer. For one I will think I had a bad compressor and know that I did a proper install.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    529
    Royal:
    What was the kidding post in relation to?
    I don't think anyone is trying to grind your gears...the "you are joking statement by 2sac was directed at Slatts if that is what you are talking about.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    You are joking, right?
    If you have only 1 phase hooked up to a 3 phase motor you'll have the same potential at all 3 terminals. nothing will happen till you connect another phase.

    3 phases it will run, 2 phases it will cook and hopefully trip its safety, 1 phase it will do nothing.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    14
    No man, Ryan thinks I had a single phase and connected it to a 3 phase, don't you see about the configuration? Slatts is a kool dude

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,683
    Maybe the terminology is different between here and Australia. A single "leg" won't cause any harm. The second leg is the 208/230 "single phase" which will kill a 3 phase compressor.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal241 View Post
    No man, Ryan thinks I had a single phase and connected it to a 3 phase, don't you see about the configuration? Slatts is a kool dude
    Stop it royal, you've made me blush.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Maybe the terminology is different between here and Australia. A single "leg" won't cause any harm. The second leg is the 208/230 "single phase" which will kill a 3 phase compressor.
    Here we switch all 3 phases.

    If we loose 1 through a burnt contact, wire or fuse, the compressor is said to be 2 phasing.

    occasionally I've seen 3 phase compressor where only 2 phases are switched, particularly in old York airconditioning condensing units.

    We reticulate at 240Vto earth, 415V between phases at 50 Hz.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    14
    Dude, if you around Boston, I know some mean dudes I ride with and I mean Harley! Terminology doesn't change, leg or phase, same thing, we are all working on the the same thing, cooling our customers and being profitable doing so, tx guys.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    Here we switch all 3 phases.

    If we loose 1 through a burnt contact, wire or fuse, the compressor is said to be 2 phasing.

    occasionally I've seen 3 phase compressor where only 2 phases are switched, particularly in old York airconditioning condensing units.

    We reticulate at 240Vto earth, 415V between phases at 50 Hz.
    Here, if we lose 1 leg from 3 phase its single phasing
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    kind of counter intuitive, don't you think?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    14
    I have $12

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event