Post Likes

Glad I had Combustion Analizer...

have had three furnaces in last two weeks with odd readings and found issues with them, which would not have shown up otherwise.

Replaced a hx in an 80% Goodman. was third one going in, so checked it over pretty hard. The one I condemned looked like it had an obstruction it it that caused the sooting in hx.

put in new one and 7% O2 on it. took shutters off burners and a little better, but still not right. Called Goodman and found that there was a service up date on the propane conversion kit yrs ago (change in orifice size). Ordered the corrected kit to put in. (correct orifices by the nameplate BTW)

90% Rheem furnace w/ low O2, sooted in hx. hit 6000+ppm CO in flue gases.

90% Trane w/ hi O2. Had to take a number of parts off to find cracked parts leaking air into a transition fitting to inducer. New part ordered there as well.

w/o CA would have been back for sooted up hxs later, or worse.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    I hear you brother. I use mine on every gas furnace. I went to a no-heat call on Saturday which I repaired by cleaning the pilot orifice and replacing the thermocouple. Then I checked the furnace performance and found it to be within specs. However the house had 3 ppm CO! After some questioning I learned the tenants had been "taking the chill off" with the gas oven!
    BTW, I'm eagerly looking forward to Jim Davis's class in Cincy later this month.

Post Likes
    Glad to see people are doing it right. Good job.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry