Trane XL80, 20+years old, Inducer Fan always running

I have a 20+ year old Trane XL80 Furnace. Within the last few days, I have detected that the inducer fan (upper fan, not the blower fan) is always running. The furnace heats and ignites fine, normal heat cycle when the thermostat calls for heat. The (past) normal behavior is for the inducer fan to come on when it the furnace calls for heat, and then shuts off after the system cools off. Looking for a pointer to what the issue might be, or things to check before I place a service call. Inducer fan runs even when thermostat is set to "off".

Thanks.

Bob

Does the blower cycle off and on with the heat?

inducer relay is stuck replace board

Consider replacement strategy. 20 years it doesn't owe you anything, you owe it. And it's gonna start calling that debt.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Consider replacement strategy. 20 years it doesn't owe you anything, you owe it. And it's gonna start calling that debt.
    He might be forced too, Trane likes to make parts obsolete after about year 15.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

if the inducer fan has a square housing on it, will need to call tech and spend $. the manufacturer of that inducer motor stopped making them, and the furnace will need several $ components and rewire harness.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Does the blower cycle off and on with the heat?
    Blower goes on and off with the heart, normally. Thanks for all the suggestions, does sound like I need to start considering replacement at some point.

Blower fan has a circular housing.