Heating my damaged house

Hurricane Sandy put a tree against my house and although my roof has been buttoned up with plywood sheets and tarps, a large section of the ceilings on the first floor are now exposed to my now well ventilated attic . I have an infinity hybrid system with a high efficiency gas fired burner (not sure of the model number but I think it's at least 98% efficient). I'm keeping my thermostat set at 55F, but I'm wondering if I should run the unit on gas alone rather than the hybrid mode since the weather is now in the 30-50F range here in Northern Virginia. I should mention that I have a Carrier Infinity system. I'll post model numbers when I run by my house later today.

Thanks!
    Joe

You should be ok running the heat pump that is what it's designed for. If it gets colder it will go into emergency heat and run the furnace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

I would cover the hole in the ceiling withpplastic

I would switch it to just gas as well.

I don't see any reason to operate the system other than as you would normal. If the thermostat is programmed correctly, it will determine whether heat pump or gas heat is needed. Even though you have a hole in the ceiling, I'm sure you still want the system to be as efficient as possible.

Cover the hole in ceiling. Use a tarp or plastic sheeting. Heat pump or gas - If there is a hole in the ceiling exposing the vented attic, your heating capabilities will be poor either way.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. Since I'm still waiting for the adjuster and a structural engineer, I'm not able to button things up the way I'd like. FWIW, my Furnace is a 58mvc080-f, my HP is a 25hna636a. Currently the HP lockout is set to 41F. At this point I'm considering shutting the whole thing off provided I can drain my water pipes in a satisfactory way. Guess I'll need to research that piece.