sc56 beeper not working

Hey guys I've been a member for a while but never posted beyond introducing my self. I just got a used fieldpiece sc56 to replace my sc45 I got when I got out of school. Well I've already learned my lesson about used tools. But anyways the beeper for NCV and continuity isn't working. I'm wondering if anyone has run across this problem? Is there a fix or am I out of luck?

Did you open it up to see if the speaker is attached?

Just opened it up... Speaker is broken free of the board. Solder points look way to small for me to be messing with. Oh well. I'm loving the meter other wise.

Beeper broke on mine about a year ago but was repaired under warranty, i believe it's called a piezo speaker if i remember correctly.

Replacement hasn't had any problems so far and i love the meter, does 90% of what I need to do on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by garageink View Post
    Just opened it up... Speaker is broken free of the board. Solder points look way to small for me to be messing with. Oh well. I'm loving the meter other wise.
    I had this happen to mine, but its my fault it happened. I was climbing down a RT ladder, and just as I was almost to the ground the meter fell out if my bag. When I picked it up to turn it on I noticed there was something rattling around. It was the piezo speaker. I tried to fix it but like you said to small for me to work on. Meter still works great though. This inspired me to take the piezo speaker out of my car. It's great no more dinging.

Had that happen as well. I actually did try to re-attach it but it wasn't as loud as it was originally so I sent it in. I would just hook up with Fieldpiece and let them fix it, cause its handy to have not just for continuity but the NCV mode too.

I bought it on the used market so I'm not sure if FP would warranty it. or even how old it is. I'm gonna suffer through for now. get a new sc56 as soon as I see one on sale at a parts house then I'll keep this one as a backup or pass it down to an extern. we get an extern in the shop every 9 weeks or so. I know when I was externing my senior tech passed a few things to me. and I appreciated it alot.

Check with field piece on a cost to repair or refurbish it might be worth it.

Fluuuuke,
    Trying not to be a Hack.

I have had three Fieldpiece meters with the NCV feature. All three failed after about a year. I still like Fieldpiece but obviously not nearly as much as I used to.

This same thing happened to me. I'm pretty pissed that I paid $180 for a meter and less than 6 months and it has issues.

What model number has had this problem? The NCV function has a very low failure rate overall. We'll replace any unit that has a manufacturer defect, just give us a call and we'll take care of you

714 634 1844

Russ