Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Good Leak Detectors For $250 or less?

After breaking my brain on a True freezer with a leak I haven't been able to find I'm in the market for an electronic leak detector. I had one over 10 years ago but was told by True that they aren't good for checking reach in coolers and freezer because the insulation they were using contained R22. So I stopped using it. It was a TIF not sure of the model. Any who, this one is fried and I'd like ideas on a new one.

Are there any good ones out there for $250 or less? I see they range from $180-$500. If I can get a good one in the $250 range I'll jump on it. If not I'm the type of person to just save up the difference and buy a good one but I'd like to avoid over spending if it's not needed.

I'm on the foodservice side so I'm working on units with R134, R22, and R404a. Also, any thoughts on infrared vs heated diode?

Right now I'm looking at the Fieldpiece SRL2 or SRL8. I have other fieldpiece tools and have been impressed with them.

Thanks in advance.
    Training is a forever thing in a good technician’s life

I have the Tif ZX and it is a really good sniffer. I think it runs just a bit more than you price limit.

I'm good with spending a bit more. Just want to avoid $400-$500.

I'll research that one, thank you.

Save!
    My next purchase this spring is D-tec select.
    I've been through so many cheap ($150-$250) sniffers, I could of had 4 D-tecs, or two h10's by now!
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Beware of some leak detectors as they aren't rated for all CFC/HCFC/HFC refrigerants.
    My Select is rated for most popular refrigerants and has successfully tracked down every leak I've gone hunting for.
    I actually have 2 now, the older one is a first gen I bought right after the select was released. Still works great, I just decided to semi retire it to backup duty.
    When both these wear out I'll probably go out and buy another.
    They are a bit on the pricy side, but well worth the expense IMO.

Plus one on the Tif Zx. If you shop around you can get it for a good price. I got lucky and got mine on a special on line sale for $200. It works great for R22. Doesn't work worth a dam on 410. So I also carry the Fieldpiece SLR8. It works great on 410A but lousy on R22.

Save up.

Where I work, everyone probably has a different leak detector. And after they have a call back or two or three, the dispatcher sends me out to fix the problem and get it off the books.

But to answer your original question just a bit differently, your eyes and fingers might be the best. Sometimes even your ears. Oh yeah, I guess experience is probably the single biggest asset far above and beyond all else.

I have had good luck on 410. Just as long as there is no wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Plus one on the Tif Zx. If you shop around you can get it for a good price. I got lucky and got mine on a special on line sale for $200. It works great for R22. Doesn't work worth a dam on 410. So I also carry the Fieldpiece SLR8. It works great on 410A but lousy on R22.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Save up.

Where I work, everyone probably has a different leak detector. And after they have a call back or two or three, the dispatcher sends me out to fix the problem and get it off the books.

But to answer your original question just a bit differently, your eyes and fingers might be the best. Sometimes even your ears. Oh yeah, I guess experience is probably the single biggest asset far above and beyond all else.
    What do you have?

I use the SLR8 on R410. Have not had a problem finding a leak. It is terrible on R22 and R134. I use a Tek-mate on R22, R134, R404 with great results. My H10 comes out to verify. The SLR2 is also used to verify.
    Doug

The H-10 Universal. It's in the four to five hundred range. But worth every penny. They have a cordless model for a few hundred more, but I don't have that one. Perhaps the only time it doesn't work well would be like in a walk-in with a large leak. You'd have to de-tune it so much it would work at all. I get that about once every ten years. But then you just look for oil.

It comes with this little calibrated leak bottle so each and every time you use it you know it is working. The calibrated leak is at one half of once per year. That's pretty small. One of our guys bought a brand new leak detector a couple of weeks ago for around a hundred bucks (don't know the brand) and it wouldn't even pick up the leak from the test bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    What do you have?

Amazon had the Bacharach Informant 2 on special. I got mine for $101 then the price increased.
    Good leak detector in my opinion. Heated diode type.

Quote Originally Posted by RichO View Post
    After breaking my brain on a True freezer with a leak I haven't been able to find I'm in the market for an electronic leak detector. I had one over 10 years ago but was told by True that they aren't good for checking reach in coolers and freezer because the insulation they were using contained R22. So I stopped using it. It was a TIF not sure of the model. Any who, this one is fried and I'd like ideas on a new one.

Are there any good ones out there for $250 or less? I see they range from $180-$500. If I can get a good one in the $250 range I'll jump on it. If not I'm the type of person to just save up the difference and buy a good one but I'd like to avoid over spending if it's not needed.

I'm on the foodservice side so I'm working on units with R134, R22, and R404a. Also, any thoughts on infrared vs heated diode?

Right now I'm looking at the Fieldpiece SRL2 or SRL8. I have other fieldpiece tools and have been impressed with them.

Thanks in advance.
    I've had those and you would be better off with a ZX in your price range IMO
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast