Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Gear

Winter Gear

Hi,

Going into the NY winter and I need a WARM coat that I can take out to the field (ie not bulky and dourable).
    Any recommendations?

Can't go wrong with Carhart
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I have a Carhart with a hood I use but it is not waterproof.
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

I put a Gator around my neck and ears a toboggan over that and zip up my carhartt to seal off the bottom of the gator. That takes care of most in my area . Nothing like sitting on a bucket at 35F at night with a condenser fan blowing on you.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Layers!! So you can take off or put on as needed. Also can switch out layers as they get wet. If you are going to be outside - Winter boots (not just work boots) - and Carhart bibs to keep the lower half warm.

Ok, I'm going to break with the pack, here.

I won't buy Carhartt coats any more.

They're more expensive than Walls or other brands and they're no warmer nor are they any better quality.

I've got several Carhartt brand coats that lasted little more than one season with ripped cuffs that are no longer suitable for use.

Here's my winter strategy.

I wear normal clothes to work unless I know that I'll be outside all day. I wear a mid weight jacket unless it's below 0. I'm only running from the truck to a building and back again.

I carry an extra sweat shirt, a pair of bibs, and a heavy coat along with a pair of wool socks, a pair of polypropylene 'liner' socks and a pair of 5 buckle rubber overboots, neoprene gloves and a fur-lined 'bomber' cap and a neck gaiter.

When I need to 'run out' to do a quick check, I'll suffer with the cold.

If I'm going to go out to do some real work, I'll suit up.

That rig has kept me comfortable down to -20F for extended periods of time.

Every Walls jacket or pair of bibs I've owned had zippers that break or tear out
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I totally agree with jpsmith carharts are only good with their pants. I find carhart jackets are over rated i wasnt warm at all when i got one. it has been used only a few times and i bought a few years ago. I usually go with the aviation bomber jackets. whole body coveralls are my fav and a neck warmer for those colder days. As for pants i just use normal cargo work pants.
    I havent tried the water boots yet but most likely i will get me a pair of them very soon. I dress in layers and try not to bulb up too much. only have spare clothes in the van incase something gets wet of course.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

I go against the grain and wear Tuff duck jacket. If I am gonna be in the cold all day Its my insulated dickies overall's normalsocks with wool ones over that. Under shirt then tee-shirt then my hoodie my flanel dickie button up and then my Tuff duck jacket with a dickie ( neck warmer) and a beanie cap to keep the heat in my head and dollar store thin gloves and my bulky ones over top. can remove the bulky ones and use the thin ones for easy access. I agree it is all about layers or you will freeze sweat.

Military polypropylene long underwear and top. Just wear a hooded work coat...if provided of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Every Walls jacket or pair of bibs I've owned had zippers that break or tear out
    I haven't blown out a zipper ever.

Quote Originally Posted by akelesis View Post
    I totally agree with jpsmith carharts are only good with their pants. I find carhart jackets are over rated i wasnt warm at all when i got one. it has been used only a few times and i bought a few years ago. I usually go with the aviation bomber jackets. whole body coveralls are my fav and a neck warmer for those colder days. As for pants i just use normal cargo work pants.
    I havent tried the water boots yet but most likely i will get me a pair of them very soon. I dress in layers and try not to bulb up too much. only have spare clothes in the van incase something gets wet of course.
    Carhartt pants are tough as IRON!! Wearing them right now.

winter gear

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Carhartt pants are tough as IRON!! Wearing them right now.
    Depends on what i am doing ,layers ,if outside all day and its colder 20 degrees and colder with wind i will switch to insulated coveralls . I have a insulted hat with full face mask ,insulated snow boots ,insulated work boots dont hold up ,the handwarmer . The company I used to work for you would be putting rtu one day and troubleshooting the next day inside ,danmart long underwear if you know your going to be out ,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast