Variable speed air handlers

I'm having a new house built and I want to upgrade one of my Trane heat pumps from a XB1300 to XLi1500, 3 ton. The contractor/salesman says that the XLi1500 requires a variable speed air handler. Is this true? Why?

Thanks,
    Rocky

To get above 14 SEER in most brands, Trane especially, the blower motor inside has to be a super efficient motor. Doesn't necessarily have to be variable speed, but at least high efficiency. The GAM5 has a fixed speed motor that uses little electricity and is a bit less money but if you are doing it, I'd get the TAM7 for the variable speed that can adjust for changing duct conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    To get above 14 SEER in most brands, Trane especially, the blower motor inside has to be a super efficient motor. Doesn't necessarily have to be variable speed, but at least high efficiency. The GAM5 has a fixed speed motor that uses little electricity and is a bit less money but if you are doing it, I'd get the TAM7 for the variable speed that can adjust for changing duct conditions.
    Thanks for the feedback.

A variable speed ECM blower, not just an energy efficient X13 motor, is the best investment in comfort control and potential energy cost savings you can make. I'd rather have nominal 13 SEER system with a variable speed blower than a 15 SEER without.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

if you get the tam7 airhandler and the xr13 you will get 14 seer
    We really need change now