Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which wires do I unplug on thermostat to disable electric heat strips?

I have a Lennox 3.5 ton Heat Pump with Honeywell TH3210D1004 thermostat, 2 heat / 1 cool with 10 KwH heat strip in 2500 sq ft house

I want to disable the heat strips because I live in North Carolina and think the heat pump can keep up fine with the house by itself.
    I set the temperature to 61 when sleeping, and 66 when I'm home.
    I'm ok with it taking longer to heatup the 5 degrees with just the heat pump because it's still more efficient than the heat strips kicking in to speed up the heating.

Which wires do I remove in the picture? The jumper that connects E to Aux and the additional wire going to aux?

If I do that, will it still go into aux for defrost mode?

Bonus question... do I want higher or lower # of cycles per hour in order to save money/energy use for the aux/emergency heat setting? Or does it not matter because the COP is 1.0 regardless

Thank you very much in advance

Name:  IMAG0607.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  28.9 KB

no diy here
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

your best bet would be to have a heat strip lock out thermostat installed at the outdoor unit and set it at about 35 degrees that way your strips wont come on if it is above 35. it is code in alot of places but nobody enforces it.
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    your best bet would be to have a heat strip lock out thermostat installed at the outdoor unit and set it at about 35 degrees that way your strips wont come on if it is above 35. it is code in alot of places but nobody enforces it.
    Is that something an hvac guy can install cheaply?

My house was built in 2012 and is all under warranty, if it's really code then I can make them install it free, any idea which code? I can't find any info on it through Google. I'm in North Carolina if it matters

Is this the code?
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...df&chrome=true

I think I found the code that requires heat strip lock out

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...003_par002.htm

Since your thermostat has both E and W wires an outdoor thermostat may already be installed. However the jumper between the E and W could be defeating the outdoor stat. Ask your HVAC installer how it's set up.

The heat pump should keep up by itself just fine, but if you are using set back temp, then you are calling the heat strip in recovery..

You are best to set your temp and forget it!

Ask the dealer for an upgrade to Honeywell VisionPro or IAQ model that you can lock out the heat strip.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Since your thermostat has both E and W wires an outdoor thermostat may already be installed. However the jumper between the E and W could be defeating the outdoor stat. Ask your HVAC installer how it's set up.
    I don't think I have an outdoor thermostat already. Not positive but pretty sure

Quote Originally Posted by mordak View Post
    Is that something an hvac guy can install cheaply?

My house was built in 2012 and is all under warranty, if it's really code then I can make them install it free, any idea which code? I can't find any info on it through Google. I'm in North Carolina if it matters

Is this the code?
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...mp;chrome=true
    If I were the AC contractor I wouldn't install those controls for free, especially if they're never enforced.

I would be prepared to pay a reasonable fee
    WHY?

An emergency heat relay could be added that would only allow the thermostat to call for the strips when it was set to emergency heat. Have it wired so defrost would still call for the strips to come on. before doing that you better be sure that the heat pump can keep the house warm w/o ever using heat strips for help. Otherwise use the outdoor thermostat to determine when the thermostat can call for heat strips as others have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    If I were the AC contractor I wouldn't install those controls for free, especially if they're never enforced.

I would be prepared to pay a reasonable fee
    I'll argue with the builder that I'm still in my 1 year warranty through them for HVAC and they didn't follow code. Worth a shot. They also didnt give my programmable thermostats, and I read that is code too for new builds.

Quote Originally Posted by mordak View Post
    I'll argue with the builder that I'm still in my 1 year warranty through them for HVAC and they didn't follow code. Worth a shot. They also didnt give my programmable thermostats, and I read that is code too for new builds.
    Congratulations, you are living in a house that PASSED CODE, from all the inspections while it was being built and even the final CO......

your state and local codes might be different ,
    We really need change now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast