Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 38

Thread: lennox pulse

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kissimmee,Florida
    Posts
    45

    Thumbs down

    When I was in colorado from 2000 to 2002 in the denver area, I remember working on these lennox gas fired funaces I believe was called the pulse. Everyone dis-liked these units. they fired with a spark plug like from a car, had a flapper on the intake that often needed changed, and the units when running were very noisy! Just curious if anyone has worked on these and your opinion. Thank God I only had to work on a few!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    I have worked on tons of them. I always liked them, and if they were installed with some thought to vibration isolation, are not very loud, unless the air or gas intake diaphragms start leaking.
    The air intake diaphragm is suposed to be changed every 4 years, if it doesn't get changed, causing the furnace to run rough and noisy, don't blame Lennox.

    The early G14 Pulse furnaces were a little loud, but if the update kit that changes the gas orifice size and the regulator on the gas valve was installed, it cut the noise level basicly in half.
    The G21 furnaces were not loud at all if there is even minimal vibration isolation.

    Really though, if you take a furnace that has hundreds of small explosions going off in it every minute, and set it on a metal box connected to a metal return, and screw a metal plenum to it and screw that to a metal supply trunk, WTF do you expect, lol.
    Iso pads and flexible connectors are a must with a Pulse furnace...

    As for reliability, other than an issue with a relativly small % of G14 furnaces, the Pulse furnace is hands down the most trouble free condensing furnace.

    In the 8 years since they stopped making Pulse furnaces, no other furnace has been produced that matches the efficiency of the G21. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was until last year that another furnace broke 95%.

    Oh, and just an FYI, the spark plug doesn't work like it does in a car. Once the flame is established, the spark and the purge blower shut off. The proccess is entirely self sustaining.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    east kansas
    Posts
    8,032
    Lack of field support killed the Pulse.

    It's just like everything else, once one learns the common failures they are easy to work on.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    PA/DE area
    Posts
    1,535
    Failed heat exchangers and TV killed the PULSE,the story on 20/20 or one of those shows about how it was a KILLER furnace with the people who lost love ones crying how the carbon monoxide killed their family.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    607
    I remember one of our techs telling us about a Pulse furnace he had installed .Him and another guy had just spent 3 days installing a complete heating system including duct work.All this done in a 3 foot crawlspace. When they finally fired it up and it made its normal patent sound ,the customer said this " What the f*ck is that noise! The tech says" Well thats your new furnace (with a smurk).Well , the customer got on the phone to the salesman and ripped him a new A-hole. I couldnt stop laughing.I guess the salesman forgot to mention the sound it would make.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,743
    Originally posted by mark beiser
    I have worked on tons of them. I always liked them, and if they were installed with some thought to vibration isolation, are not very loud, unless the air or gas intake diaphragms start leaking.
    The air intake diaphragm is suposed to be changed every 4 years, if it doesn't get changed, causing the furnace to run rough and noisy, don't blame Lennox.

    The early G14 Pulse furnaces were a little loud, but if the update kit that changes the gas orifice size and the regulator on the gas valve was installed, it cut the noise level basicly in half.
    The G21 furnaces were not loud at all if there is even minimal vibration isolation.

    Really though, if you take a furnace that has hundreds of small explosions going off in it every minute, and set it on a metal box connected to a metal return, and screw a metal plenum to it and screw that to a metal supply trunk, WTF do you expect, lol.
    Iso pads and flexible connectors are a must with a Pulse furnace...

    As for reliability, other than an issue with a relativly small % of G14 furnaces, the Pulse furnace is hands down the most trouble free condensing furnace.

    In the 8 years since they stopped making Pulse furnaces, no other furnace has been produced that matches the efficiency of the G21. I may be wrong, but I don't think it was until last year that another furnace broke 95%.

    Oh, and just an FYI, the spark plug doesn't work like it does in a car. Once the flame is established, the spark and the purge blower shut off. The proccess is entirely self sustaining.
    what he said.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,743
    Originally posted by Milk man
    Lack of field support killed the Pulse.

    It's just like everything else, once one learns the common failures they are easy to work on.

    cost of production killed the pulse.

    also the weight of that monster. i used to hate dragging those things down steps into basements. once the G26 furnaces came out they were lighter, quieter and much CHEAPER. we pretty much stopped selling the pulse a couple years before they stopped making them.

    looking back at when they came out in 1981 they were MANY years ahead of their time as far as efficiency went.

    as others have said, once you understood them they were one of the easiest high efficiency furnaces around to work on. i am still getting alot of work on them even on ones we did not install, have a lot of companies and the local utility referring to us.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,959
    Just a thought....could it be possible that technicians killed the production of the pulse? Based on their inability or more so their refusal to learn everything they could about it? I only ask this based on my personal observations and comments on here...gimme some honest responses. It just seems like there are a few models of furnaces here that get slammed from time to time and they tend to be the ones on the cutting edge of technology...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Originally posted by heatpumpguru
    Failed heat exchangers and TV killed the PULSE,the story on 20/20 or one of those shows about how it was a KILLER furnace with the people who lost love ones crying how the carbon monoxide killed their family.
    What actually killed the Pulse furnace was the G26 and the prevelence of other 90%+ efficient furnaces, lol.

    Kinda tough to sell a 96% efficient Pulse furnace when Lennox, and everyone else, has another product that is 93% efficient for $1000 less.

    As for the deaths in the 20/20 story, it is my understanding that the CO leak that caused the deaths was found to be from a leak in incorrectly glued joints in the PVC vent system and NOT from leaks in the secondary HX connections to the primary.


    20/20 has a history of manipulating stories, and even outright fabricating product failures to make a story of it though.
    Like thier blatant lie and extensive modification of a car to "prove" the unintended accelleration "problem" with mid 80's Audis.

    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Originally posted by t527ed
    once you understood them they were one of the easiest high efficiency furnaces around to work on.
    No doubt about that. If you really know Pulse furnaces well, you can diagnose most problems with them by taking the front access cover off, turning it on, and listening for 60 seconds or less, lol.

    I had a customer get mad at me once. I diagnosed his G21 as having a bad control board less than a minute after turning the thermostat on and without pulling a single tool out of my bag.
    The furnace ignited, but the purge blower didn't turn off, so it flamed out after a few seconds.
    He didn't believe my diagnosis and got in my face a little about trying to rip him off.
    I kept a control board for them on my truck in those days, so I told him I would put the new board on while he watched to see if I did anything else, and if it didn't work he could have the new board for free and that I would fix the actual problem at no charge.
    30 minutes later he cut me a check for the new control board and gave me a $20 bill for putting up with him.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,743
    still keep that board on my truck. might have to start carrying purge blowers to, used 3 in the last month. had to wait for them to come from iowa to. seems like the local branch ain't stockin squat in parts anymore.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Hey t527ed, you need any air intake diaphragms for 60 and 80k G14s, just the replacement diaphragm material?
    Figuring replacement every 4 years, I have a 36 year supply of them for my one Pulse furnace customer!
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Howell, Michigan
    Posts
    16,176
    Bryant Gumble killed the Pulse when he did that news story of how they were so dangerous and killed people. Every Lennox dealer in the land knew it as we watched that show.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event