The power company came out and changed out the meters to a building that I service the other day and disconnected the pulse meter that provides KW input to a UPCM. They came back and hooked it back up today and gave me the new pulse rate and I changed the value in the UPCM. I am still getting a zero reading as if the pulse meter is still not hooked up. I was told the pulse meter is a two wire setup. I have no experience with these and was wondering if you guys could help me understand how these boogers operate and how to troubleshoot such components. The power co. is coming back on monday to open up the panel so we can hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks,

The Duke

Hmm

If I remember correctly, there are 3 contacts on a pulse meter. K, X & Y. K is common and the pulse will make contact from K-X for 1 pulse then K-Y on the next and so on. The power company should give you a kw/pulse number such as .64 kw/pulse or what ever depending on the CT's that are installed at the site and the meter multiplier. You can test the pulse meter, as they are dry contacts, using a regular ohm meter. Good luck.RR

If I remember correctly(I suffer from CRS), I had one do this and it was because the UPCM could not "see" the pulse, it was too fast. I think I had to install a relay in line to slow it down. I'll see if I can find an old work order but I would check to see if the pulse speed is the same as the old one.
    Two wire hook up, three wire f**k up.

Possibly i read this wrong, but you say they disconnected your pulse meter, then hooked it back up a couple days later? if so, why would you have to change your input value? If they have installed a different one completely, then you would have to start over.....same meter, same pulse. I know the power companies around the country do perfect work, but is it just possible that they either hooked it up wrong or not really at all? Verfify their work first, then look at your input values etc.

Just wanted to give a report on my problem about the kwmetering. The power co. came out and checked the output pulse from his meter and it was there. There was no output from the pulse relays though going to the upcm.He tied the wires together bypassing the old relays and shazaam!I now have kw readings. And yes the value had to be changed in the ucpm to correspond to the new meter.