+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type of refrigeration is most comfy for you?

North sweden, Umeε, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Post Likes

What type of refrigeration is most comfy for you?

After messing with a pair of chillers water/water my service leader mentioned that all of us is comfortable with different types of refrigeration applications, small machines, big machines, chillers, dx systems, split units and so on. I might be uncomfy with chillers. But what the heck... To learn you have to "saddle the horse" even if you get throwed off the horses' back.

Ah yea... The big Q is... What type of application is mest comfy for you, and what type is the most uncomfy?

For me the Most comfy is Middlesized and bigger, spec the semihermetic ones, Ammonia is my big uncomfy, almost feel raped after a work on a ammonia circuit.

Post Likes
    Ammonia is just a little bit too dangerous for me to be comfortable with.

I don't want to learn too much about bromide absorbtion systems either, though I'm around them all of the time.

I'm pretty comfortable with any air conditioning and/or chiller system out there at present. I guess I'm most comfortable working on systems that have 6 oz. all the way up to 10,000lb. centrifugals. After all they all work on the same basic principals.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    Ammonia is just a little bit too dangerous for me to be comfortable with.

I don't want to learn too much about bromide absorbtion systems either, though I'm around them all of the time.

I'm pretty comfortable with any air conditioning and/or chiller system out there at present. I guess I'm most comfortable working on systems that have 6 oz. all the way up to 10,000lb. centrifugals. After all they all work on the same basic principals.

...Ron
    So how many 10,000 pound machines you got out there?

My problem is I don't have a comfort level on refrigerant type or tonnage. My comfort level comes from knowledge of the account.

Post Likes
    I like 5 ton and smaller Carrier rooftop units. Especially doing stuff like changing the belts and filters. Oh, to be a young apprentice again

Post Likes
    I'm a rack rat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    So how many 10,000 pound machines you got out there?

My problem is I don't have a comfort level on refrigerant type or tonnage. My comfort level comes from knowledge of the account.
    We have at least 6 in one plant, Westchester and The Bronx have plenty of large tonnage chillers. I go where they send me.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'm a rack rat.
    Yep, used to do some supermarket refrigeration too. Hannafords, Sam's Clubs, Wal-Marts, other small supermarkets, and a refrigerated warehouse.

I like it all.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    I am pretty comfortable with small to large size RTU's 5 to 75 tons is what I work on most. Would like to learn more about chillers and supermarket refrigeration. Understand that everything works the same just not comfortable with the circuits on chillers and the controls on some of the supermarket stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodegreeac View Post
    Lol I dont think Ive ever heard this question before. For different people theres different options I guess. You would use a display fridge or a blast freezer at home would you.
    A display refrigerator is an awsome piece for your "Man Cave", you can have a nice display of all you and your friends favorite adult beverages and know at a glace when its time to restock. I personally don't hunt or take enough fish to have much of a use for a blast freezer.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Resturant and refrigerated warehouses. I've done a little bit of work on alot of different equipment, but I always end up in the kitchen.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    MvQuay chillers of all compressor types minus the centrifugal. The most comfortable? Probably the scroll units for me with a second being the ALS screws.

Post Likes
    My comfort level is midsize chillers air or water cooled , screw , recip, scroll or centrifugal.

Don't care to see an absorber nor ammonia .

North sweden, Umeε, Where the birches growing without limits.
    Post Likes
    Rack Rat was the word I searched for, with middlesize and bigger that I mentioned.

Kind of roof rat too

Post Likes
    I fix air conditioners of all shapes, sizes, and colors. I find myself most frequently working on the big beige ones, though.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I fix air conditioners of all shapes, sizes, and colors. I find myself most frequently working on the big beige ones, though.
    I heard the big beige one needed lots of work. Interesting

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    I heard the big beige one needed lots of work. Interesting
    The last one sure did. Then there are others I can walk away from and not see for 6 months, and they are still humming along with 0 starts since the last time.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    I am gonna post a different sort of answer. I am most comfortable with large burners. We do a lot of RTU's and Chillers as well. While I feel comfortable and confident working on these, my skills set is strongest with burners. LP, Natural, Oil (#1-#6), to solid fuel it doesn't matter. I can work on a stoker grate pulverized coal boiler at a paper mill or a 3 section Weil McLain burning #2 oil with the same level of confidence. We are all a product of our experience. We are comfortable around what we work on the most.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in