Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have never used UPCM Edit software, but have to try and connect to a UPCM at a site on Monday. I basically have to add an expansion board (I think) to add an analog output to the controller.
    I have used Rover previously to connect and re-program an MP580.
    I was wondering if I'll run into the same password problem I ran into on the MP580?
    Do I have to have the "config" files to connect and read the programming?
    Any "gotchas" I need to know about?
    TIA,
    jogas

jogas,

Depending on where you got the software from will depend on the logon and password. You need a RS-232 cable and an adaptor(9 pin)to connect. These are readily available at most Trane Parts Centers(can't tell you the part numbers).
    Let me know what you have as of now and I will help get you there.Post your e-mail address.

If there is 3 boards to the right of main board already hooked up..you won't be able to add analog output(unless there is an existing empty spare)...even though you may have room to add board on bottom side of main board that's only for inputs...FYI
    IF YOU BUILD IT...THEY WILL COME!!!...

Thanks a million for the quick replies.
    I've got the UPCM Edit software American Standard 1994 Version 2.0 I received from someone here on hvactalk a while ago.
    We've ordered and received the cables. I'll get them Monday morning on the job. I've never seen them, but they should be a serial adapter and an RJ cable if I remember right.
    Will this software require a username/password?
    Do I need any original config files?
    Jogas
    jogas@cox.net

jogas,

You will need to contact whoever sent you the software and get their password and logon id. No config. files required, just create a data directory with the name of the upcm and select that upcm to upload.Did you post your email adress so I can contact you?

The Duke

Password and ID

I wasn't aware that there was a login and password for upcm edit. I've always just plugged er' in and gone.

I don't think any passwords can be set for the UPCM itself. You can set a password to access the edit software, and for the keypad on the 'custom status display' if the UPCM has this, but I don't think there is any way to password protect the actual code in the UPCM. You can try the software at home (you don't have to connect). If it doesn't ask you for a password when you go into the setup menu, then you shouldn't have any problems.

If you haven't used it before, make sure you 'upload all data' and then make a backup of c:/upcmdata before you change anything.

Thanks again for the quick replies.
    My email is jogas@cox.net
    I installed UPCM Edit on my home PC to check on the password situation. It loaded fine with no username/password prompts. But when I press a key like "A" to choose a UPCM, no "A" appears in the command filed and nothing happens. I've also tried pressing "F2" before and after and still nothing happens. Is this because I'm not connected to a UPCM?
    I was looking at the programming manual and it seems to me to add an AOP, I'll have to find the PCL statement controlling BOP's now and add my analog to that statement. Does this seem right? Or do I have to add another seperate statement.
    I haven't had to ever do any PCL, but I did do some BASIC (Beginners All Puprpose Structured Interface Code) a long time ago. Don't ask me how I remembered that acronym <LOL>.
    Again guys, thank you for the help. If you ever need any Staefa programming help, just ask.
    Joe

You should be able to select a UPCM without being connected. After you select, it should ask you if you want to connect. The only reason I can think of that it wouldn't work is if you are using some type of wireless keyboard (remember this is a dos program so newer hardware may cause problems). If you have an older pc or a laptop, try that. To add an AOP, you would go into the analog points edit menu, and enter a name and type, etc. To do anything with the AOP, you have to go to the pcl routines. If you know much about programming, you should be able to figure out how the code works once you upload the program.

Also, I'd proceed very slowly and carefully until you get used to the program, since it is possible to erase everything in the UPCM using this program. Be sure to upload and back up before doing anything else.

My cursor problem was from trying to run UPCM Edit in the Windows XP DOS enviroment. I rebooted to safe mode/DOS command and I now have a cursor (Duh! Dos program, I should have known).
    As the backup is critical for me to have something to rely on, could someone give me a step by step to make a backup of all data and files I'll need if I accidentally wipe out the controller's program?
    Also, I've been reading the Trane #EMTX-PG-5 Programming Guide. On page 9-1 it has a warning that says "All entries in the UPCM Point Data Menu for analog and binary points should be completed BEFORE making entries in the PCL Routines." As there is already existing PCL Routines in this controller, does this mean I'll have a problem if I add an AOP now?
    Again, (broken record) Thanks,
    jogas

It just means that you can't use a point in the pcl routines before you create it. You can create new points and add them to exsisting routines, so long as you define them first, i.e. you won't have to rewrite anything. The program won't even let you do it the other way.

As I remember, to back up, you would go to 'all data functions', 'upload all data' and when it is done, make a backup copy of your upcmedit data directory (save to a flash drive or something). It should be c:\upcmdata (default). As you change things in the program, the files in the data directory change, so you want to have a backup.

Thanks to all for the help.
    jogas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast