Winter Gear - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Gear

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Speaking of boots...

Just grabbed a pair of these for hunting.

Nice and toasty warm, plus they're waterproof and snow-bank high to keep your feet nice and dry.

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-De...-Pull-On-Boot/
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-02-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: fix link

My strategy for extended outdoor work in cold weather, that means below freezing, is polypro socks with two pair merino wool socks, long underwear under carhartt uninsulated bibs with a hooded sweatshirt over the straps, a fleece over that and a well insulated carhartt jacket over that. A nice sock hat, a big beard : ), and some gloves. I keep some hand warmer packets if my hands need a warm up. It has to be really cold to keep all that on but by keeping the layers easy to work one can just unzip the jacket and fleece and you can adapt to your conditions pretty easily. I've worked 4 straight ours in 6* with that set up, ate and warmed up and worked in it for another 3*(key here is to work hard enough to generate heat). I would avoid the insulated bibs because a lot of the guys I work with have to wear another pair of pants under them so they can slip them off when they get too hot, the uninsulated is like their pants but keeps the wind from blowing up your top layers. Above about 36 and I'm just adding a hoody to my normal gear and maybe some gloves.

Also, don't forget to wear shades in the winter too, a lot of guys don't think about it but the sun is still out and you can get nasty glare off of snow and end up with your eyes fatigued.

Make sure you cover your skin in high winds and cold weather. Either a big scarf to wrap your face and neck or a balaclava.

I'm thinking about buying some Georgia Muddog slip on boots for sloppy weather, anybody used these?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351905412.637023.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  16.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Speaking of boots...

Just grabbed a pair of these for hunting.

Nice and toasty warm, plus they're waterproof and snow-bank high to keep your feet nice and dry.

http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-De...-Pull-On-Boot/
    I hate to rain on your parade jp but I'm no fan of Rockyboots. I live in Athens county which is where the outlet store is located. There used to be a factory there as well but a few years ago they built a large distribution center outside of town, closed the factory and shipped all manufacturing overseas (or so I was told). The factory in Nelsonville was shut down after the distribution center was opened. I suspect most of their products are imported now.
    I would prefer to support a company with products made locally or nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I hate to rain on your parade jp but I'm no fan of Rockyboots. I live in Athens county which is where the outlet store is located. There used to be a factory there as well but a few years ago they built a large distribution center outside of town, closed the factory and shipped all manufacturing overseas (or so I was told). The factory in Nelsonville was shut down after the distribution center was opened. I suspect most of their products are imported now.
    I buy my boots on here, look for the made in usa ones.

http://www.thebootpro.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Quite honestly, I've got VERY large feet and I take what I can find.

I needed a pair of insulated, rubber boots for archery hunting and the Rockys were the only boot I found in a size 14 wide.

I'd have bought the Muck brand if they had a knee high boot in my size.

My daily work boots are red wings.

I was just pointing out the particular type of boot as one that would be good for deep snow and cold weather work.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Quite honestly, I've got VERY large feet and I take what I can find.

I needed a pair of insulated, rubber boots for archery hunting and the Rockys were the only boot I found in a size 14 wide.

I'd have bought the Muck brand if they had a knee high boot in my size.

My daily work boots are red wings.

I was just pointing out the particular type of boot as one that would be good for deep snow and cold weather work.
    No problem here. Before posting I checked wikipedia about Rocky Boots. They were of course silent as to the closing of the factory as well as being allowed to keep the city tax abatement that was conditional on retaining the factory for a number of years. It just bugs me when a company appears to represent itself as domestic when it is not.

Has anyone tried that new M12 heated jacket from Milwaukee? I looks pretty cool. I mean warm.. I have some m12 tools so I have batteries already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

I keep a couple of different weight jackets/coats in the truck so that I can layer up or down. I just wear regular work pants but am thinking about finding some kind of thermal underwear...... but I just cant stand those old quilty looky things..... They seem to itch me to death and I have trouble keeping them up....know what i mean.

I keep lots of xtra clothes in the truck for emergencies.....xtra shoes.....boots..... thinking about maybe getting a sweater this year for work. You can get some nice sweaters and wear them under a jacket for an xtra liner.
    One things for _______ sure, ________ rock didnt land on ______ sorry ___. That ___ __ _ _____ wasnt nowhere near _______ a _______ years ago. __ aint even a ______, __ is half _______ and half ________.

For all-day comfort in the cold, nasty weather, there is little to compare to Under Armor ColdGear as a base layer.

Yeah, it's expensive, but it's worth it.

I've had a pair of rockys for 10 years, wear them every winter, the only problem Is my socks fall down in them and man is that annoying!

I rely on carrying several different weights.

A pair of insulated coveralls in the truck for the really cold days (-20). Sweat shirt and just a good coat for most of the winter. To be honest. You just eventually toughen up. I can go for 80% of the winter in just normal work clothes with a long sleeve tshirt underneath. The coveralls come out when working on a rooftop.

The best cold weather boots hands down is the Muck Arctic Sport. I have worn them in blizzards and -30 below for most of the day. Feet never got cold.

I was never able to wear long johns. Nothing worse than jungle crotch with long johns on while in an industrial boiler room on a -10 day.

Good Luck.

If there is burning, welding or a muddy ditch involved i wii go with the carhartt's. if doing service work i prefer high tech cabellas type stuff. gotta have my gortex.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12