Supermarket various leaks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with dangpgt... I have had great luck with the battery operated tif ZX1 and also love my H10 plug in ...hate the plug in though. As far as using your h10 I was taught to put it on the small leak size then dial it in till you barely hear the tick. If you swipe it in a cooler and it goes off it means there is a leak almost guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I want to take a minute to specifically address this statement.

If you don't stop and take the time, MAKE the time to do what is needed and do it correctly the FIRST time, then you will NEVER have the time to do it correctly.

Putting a half-a**ed repair on a piece of equipment just to run to another call to slap a band-aid on it to get to the next call....

Then, what happens is the half-a**ed, band-aided repairs start to unravel and you wind up starting to run call-backs intermixed with normal break downs.

Now, you've got even LESS time to do what needs done.

So, what do you do? Make quicker repairs. Use lighter bandaids. Add MORE gas to buy yourself more time until they call back again when it leaked out.

STOP THE MADNESS!

Ok, I'm going to step off of my soap box, now and maybe have a beer. I think I need one....

Heck No JP! Get back on that soap box. Sure wish you could convince my ex-boss of that way of thinking. Read my sig line and that is what I am talking about. Why do all these companies want you to put a band aid on just about every call you run. Do half of what you said you were going to do on the maintenance. Need 2-3 call backs on almost every installation.

I guess I just don't get it. I must be real dumb or something, thinking that the smartest way to get the work really done is to get it, do it right, make sure it is right, then leave the site.

I really like the above explanation on how to really care for a rack.

Thanks!
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

All of this is great advice.

Couple things to add. When we leak check, we try to divide things up so it does not seem so overwhelming. ie....start with low temp rack. Start with one line set at a time. If your low temp racks have hot gas defrost, put the section your are checking into defrost while your are sniffing with your leak detector, as the increased pressures can help your find smaller leaks.

Patience and persistence is key.

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Heck No JP! Get back on that soap box. Sure wish you could convince my ex-boss of that way of thinking. Read my sig line and that is what I am talking about. Why do all these companies want you to put a band aid on just about every call you run. Do half of what you said you were going to do on the maintenance. Need 2-3 call backs on almost every installation.

I guess I just don't get it. I must be real dumb or something, thinking that the smartest way to get the work really done is to get it, do it right, make sure it is right, then leave the site.

I really like the above explanation on how to really care for a rack.

Thanks!
    First day, first JOB, I saw a sign with a very similar sentence hanging over the door leading from the back room of a store onto the sales floor.

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you find time to do it over?"

First day, first JOB, I saw a sign with a very similar sentence hanging over the door leading from the back room of a store onto the sales floor.

ABSOLUTELY !

Sure wish I could get into rack work. Only been a a few. Seems like they really wanted it done right. Just not much of it around here out in the sticks.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

first thing I thought of when I read your first post in this thread
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot...41.John_Wooden
    fifth one down
    (the rest ain't bad neither !! )

Right at the spot where they hung the top coil by those little aluminum straps

X2
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Quote Originally Posted by goodguyu View Post
    Hello, I started for a new company this year and they don't do a lot of supermarket work but they do the largest supermarket in the city. The racks are quite old here and I find small leaks sometimes during repairs by finding oil and then I fix the leak. I spend the most time at this place at the moment and I want to start getting these leaks found and fixed but I dont have enough time to do the work thats currently needed never mind leak searching. I want to know what tools and techniques you supermarket guys use to find leaks and lets just say money is not a issue for purchasing of tools. Your help is greatly appreciated, Thanks

I only have two supermarkets that I service, but like everything else I do, my primary leak detector is soap bubbles, though I will use the injectable dye and light if needed. I'ld be a little reluctant to inject dye into a large rack system, as it would take more, but if I needed to... I don't bother with the electronic leak detector.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbycold View Post
    I don't bother with the electronic leak detector.
    why are you resistant to use an electronic detector?

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    why are you resistant to use an electronic detector?
    I used the electronic detector in the Navy when the lines went thru multiple compartments on several decks. It can tell you which space the leak is in, but that's about it. I realize that you may work on systems where that is worthwhile. I have several customers that have remote condensors on everything, such as the supermarkets (not racks, however), but mostly convience stores with a lot of self contained systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbycold View Post
    I used the electronic detector in the Navy when the lines went thru multiple compartments on several decks. It can tell you which space the leak is in, but that's about it. I realize that you may work on systems where that is worthwhile. I have several customers that have remote condensors on everything, such as the supermarkets (not racks, however), but mostly convience stores with a lot of self contained systems.

On a rack type system, that is exactly what you need the detector TO do.

Narrow the location of the leak down enough so that you can justify emptying the case and examining it further for leaks.

Otherwise, you're chasing your tail. For a LOOOOOONG time.

On a rack type system, that is exactly what you need the detector TO do.

Narrow the location of the leak down enough so that you can justify emptying the case and examining it further for leaks.

Otherwise, you're chasing your tail. For a LOOOOOONG time.
    JP Smith, I agree that if there is a good time to use an electronic leak detector, it is a rack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12