Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Domestic refrigerator not cooling..

I do mostly residential A/C (installation and repair), so I need another opinion . My 2 year old Whirlpool frig. is not cooling properly. Freezer drawer on bottom and frig. on top. Info: Unit is running all the time, freezer temp is 32.5 at e-coil vent, and 38 in frig., fans are running (evap. and cond. and clean), suction pressure 26#, total amps 1.18, suction line is cool to the touch coming out of the box but fairly warm at compressor and high side is hot to the touch. (compressor) What do you think? thanks

How did you get a suction reading?

Is this R-134A?

Condenser Plugged?

I mounted a saddle clamp on the process stub and took a reading with my gauges.

It is 134a....

Suction pressure of 22# gives you a saturated suction temperature of 25 deg. Way to high for a domestic refrigerator. Sounds like a weak compressor.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

If your readings are correct and you tapped it properly it would be a inefficient compressor.

If the condenser is dirty or condenser fan is out it will cause high discharge, in turn causing high suction. I would start there before I condemned the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by tranger03 View Post
    If the condenser is dirty or condenser fan is out it will cause high discharge, in turn causing high suction. I would start there before I condemned the compressor.
    OP said condenser was clean.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Becool View Post
    I mounted a saddle clamp on the process stub and took a reading with my gauges.
    That's why I asked.
    at 2 years old it should be under warranty but now I don't know.

I agree bad pump.

Is the liquid line room temp or hot? If the discharge line is hot, I would want to make sure it is actually dumping the heat before I condemned the compressor. I know the OP stated the condenser is clean, but sometimes they look clean and aren't or there is another airflow problem.

Just go in ... The liquid line is hot and that is what bothers me and I know the suction pressure is too high. It might be bye passing into the suction side? I have had a/c units do it. As far as warranty I think it had a one year warranty, if not how do I check. I think the wife bought it at Lowe's.

Why not just call Lowe's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Becool View Post
    Just go in ... The liquid line is hot and that is what bothers me and I know the suction pressure is too high. It might be bye passing into the suction side? I have had a/c units do it. As far as warranty I think it had a one year warranty, if not how do I check. I think the wife bought it at Lowe's.

Good idea! I will do that tomorrow. thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast