Suction Line solenoid?

In my friend's little market, one of the cases has a 120v solenoid on the suction line connected to a pen thermostat in the case. Since the case is low pressure cutout controlled I will assume this stops the suction line so the pressure drops quickly and opens the low pressure switch stopping the compressor. Wonder why someone put that on there? The compressor will go off anyway on the low cutout.

If you shut off the liquid line, the coil will continue to remove heat until the liquid supply is exhausted. This will cause a the case to drop below desired temperature. When the suction line solenoid shuts off, the txv will stop the flow of liquid, as the pressures before and after become balanced.

Common on deli cases
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Ok. I see. This was an old r12 case at one time.

Im thinking its only important on freezers to empty the evap with liquid line valve , so when the heaters come on its easier to defrost

Just wondering the refrigerant would be traveling back to compressor in liquid state while that suction solenoid valve opens at temperature increase.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gzhjb View Post
    Just wondering the refrigerant would be traveling back to compressor in liquid state while that suction solenoid valve opens at temperature increase.

Not really, because the suction pressure will being to rise rather quickly to equilibrium with the ambient temp within the case. That is pressure converted to temperature. It becomes the pressure or force that closes the TXV against the opening or bulb pressure. What that really means is during an off cycle defrost you have slow equalization and when the compressor is later energized the little bit of liquid that is static in the evaporator is quickly evaporated as the suction pressure drops.

However, if your condensing unit is outdoors and your compressor has a long off cycle defrost, I would make sure you have a crankcase heater.

Just wondering...
    If the unit is equipped with a suction stop is it not a hot gas defrost?

No hot gas defrost. I removed the suction line solenoid. Working fine. Temp is right on 36F where the owner wants it. The R422B gas is working great since the conversion.
    This is the case I changed over with three Sporlan EGG 1/2C R22 valves, a Copeland CK 16 compressor. It was previously an old semi hemi that failed running R401.

We fixed this thing on a shoestring budget with fleabay parts.

Quote Originally Posted by gzhjb View Post

No. The evaporator will have a low pressure and the TXV will be metering into the evap.