+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double wide package unit install

Post Likes

Double wide package unit install

I have a customer who wants a package unit installed in his doublewide. Ive never done this before, but ive been told you have to have a particular unit for a mobile home because of the duct work. If that is true, what manufacturers make mobile home units? It looks like im going to have to cut a new return in the floor also. Any advice would be appreciated from someone who has had to do this before. Thanks.

Post Likes
    The duct work causes high static pressure. Install a gas pack if possible because the head psi will be too high on a heat pump during the very start and end of heating season. Cut in a floor return. Blank off where old unit was and make your own y to split the trunks.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I was told because the duct causes a high static pressure you need a unit with a high static blower. Is that something most manufacturers make? I want to try to talk him into a split, his complaint about that is the noise.

Post Likes
    Go to a mobile home supply house and get a package unit floor return kit. It comes with correct size floor grill and boot to go between floor joists.

Post Likes
    Just put in a split!!!

Post Likes
    I'm going to price him a split also. He asked for a package unit. He complained about being able to hear the fan.

Post Likes
    I've had better results with a package unit. If you do the split You will need a good transition for a the air handler and then the split underneath will still need to be reworked.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    If you install a split, you still got to have a high static blower. You're looking for something that will blow the nominal air volume at 0.7 - 0.8 inWC. "Conventional" equipment isn't typically rated that high.

Post Likes
    a mobile home split is the way to go!

they have 90% too!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    Check out Coleman and Nordyne packaged units.

Post Likes
    Coleman, Nordyne and Goodman. Always had good results from Goodman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Rheem sales a MH rated package unit. I havnt seen a gas pack rated for MH's, theyre usually heat pump or straight a/c with electric heat. What we do is use the space where the old unit was as the return. Cut that section of supply duct out, blank it off, and run your return into that closet then branch your supply and tap into the two sections of supply ducting. EZ

The easiest is just to go back with a MH split system...

Post Likes
    i would put in a package unit , run a metal trunk line and tap the main line under the house in 2 places on each side then either a floor return or a return where the indoor unit was

Post Likes
    I got a price for a Coleman split and package unit. I think the ustomer will be better off going with the split to keep from adding duct and cutting a hole in the foundation wall. Hopefully i can make him understand that, he wanted the package unit.

Post Likes
    Why can't you just run an entirely new trunk under the house and use standard equipment?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Just put in a split!!!
    Ya know yur a redneck when... ya own a yard furnace.

I pulled an 87,000 and put in a 40,000 carrier mh unit in a 1700 sf double wide a few years back. 1.5 ton heat pump. Smallest fan they made. People hated watching tv with remote in their lap. Happy they don't have to do that any longer.

Very happy they're annual gas went from 1000+ therms to just over 600. Electric stayed about the same. $4-500 annual savings.

Taped holes in beer can duct, connected hard return to center return that previously jumped to open plenum road barrier return, and caulked leaky window extension jambs (you need a blower door to understand leakage opportunity.)

Expect energy use to go UP quite a bit with a yard furnace.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in