I just grduated from a 2 year HVAC college course in Toronto. It was mostly residential training for furnaces and air-conditioning.

I am good at the electrical part of HVAC and I would like to learn more about building controls and electronics rathernthan cleaning out someone's furnace.

I have applied at Homeywell,Trane and Johnson Controls but I haven't even found a job in anything yet. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

My advice would be to spend some time on the mechanical side, ideally in commercial service. Controls companys like their people to have some background knowledge of the mechanical side. Plus doing commercial service you will be exposed to some controls.
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Plenty of good sized control contractors in the Toronto area not just the Manufacturers , do a on line search of the yellow pages ( CANADA 411 ) under controls.

Try looking into carrier they have a commercial service office in that area...and they are always looking for engineering techs

Controls companies like to see one of two experience paths (preferably both).
    1.) Mechanical - like previously posted, preferably in the commercial field. The more equipment you have experience with the better.

2.) PC's and software - The software tools you work with are typically a Pain to keep updated and working on various platforms. Having this background is very helpful.
    In most cases any mechanical issues you may run into you can find help pretty easily, software issues turn into nightmares very quickly.

a combination of the two is golden.

Another idea... are you willing to relocate?

Depends where.