Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 74
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    LOL!

    being a bar owner I can tell you that beer is usually kept at 38*

    assuming you had a 40* SST
    that would be minus 2* compressor superheat!
    good way to sell new compressors!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,230
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    LOL!

    being a bar owner I can tell you that beer is usually kept at 38*

    assuming you had a 40* SST
    that would be minus 2* compressor superheat!
    good way to sell new compressors!
    I keep my beer at 42* because I have too hard a time getting negative superheat.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee,Fl
    Posts
    144
    I am on my eight year and I feel pretty confident on residential,but I do have to stop and scratch my head best advice is go to trade school,get nate certified,read anything and everything on hvac work.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    good idea!!!!!!!!!!!1 LOL!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I keep my beer at 42* because I have too hard a time getting negative superheat.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Ulm, MN
    Posts
    32

    Hmm 4th year tech wondering about retirement

    I am a 4th year residential HVAC service tech, work at a small shop (3 employees, a working owner, and a secretary) in a small town (13,000). I was just wondering what other folks are doing for retirement. I have brought up the topic serveral times to my boss but he seems to dismiss it. I am generally happy with my current situation but I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my career.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
    I am a 4th year residential HVAC service tech, work at a small shop (3 employees, a working owner, and a secretary) in a small town (13,000). I was just wondering what other folks are doing for retirement. I have brought up the topic serveral times to my boss but he seems to dismiss it. I am generally happy with my current situation but I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my career.
    Start your own Roth IRA. Company pensions are a thing of the past, most have gone to 401k. 401k's are only good if the employer provides matching funds.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central, PA
    Posts
    105
    It all depends on the individual. I have guys with 3 to 5 years experience that I would not trade for anything, then I have guys with 25 years experience and I wonder, in what?

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    roth IRA

    mutual funds



    Quote Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
    I am a 4th year residential HVAC service tech, work at a small shop (3 employees, a working owner, and a secretary) in a small town (13,000). I was just wondering what other folks are doing for retirement. I have brought up the topic serveral times to my boss but he seems to dismiss it. I am generally happy with my current situation but I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of my career.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Ulm, MN
    Posts
    32
    May I ask the details About the ROTH IRA? Do they match a percentage? I'm the only non-family employee and the other two "workers" mainly install and I do most of the service. They likely have the company to fall back on so they do not have any other types of retirement.

    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    roth IRA

    mutual funds

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    you just get your own roth ira.

    if you want to approach your boss,
    see if he will match up to 10% of your gross pay?

    so if you make 50k
    you save 5k
    and boss puts in 5k.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    you just get your own roth ira.

    if you want to approach your boss,
    see if he will match up to 10% of your gross pay?


    We get 6% of our contribution matched up to $3800
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    i was being wishful!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post


    We get 6% of our contribution matched up to $3800
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    You know what they say. If you want 5, ask for 10. This is also the way politics works, but eventually someone has to budge on their end.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event