+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: DIRECT IGNITION PROBLEM SHOULD BE SIMPLE!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    DO NOT STICK THE MANOMETER IN YOUR BUTTHOLE
    The much needed comic relief on this post! Almost spit out my drink when I read that!

Post Likes
    A cheap manometer cost less than fifty dollars. If you work on any equipment which works on natural gas, propane, etc. than you must use some sort of gauge to measure both main gas pressure and manifold pressure. This is not a luxury item nor should it be on your wish list of tools. The bottom line is that if you are servicing this type of equipment, you MUST have some form of tool to measure pressure. If not pack up your tools and work only on equipment your are familiar with. Other peoples lives depend on it.

I remember around 15 years ago when there was this job at a church which had 6 gas package units on the roof with over 300 ft of gas pipe. Every thing was fine in a part load condition but when it got cold the heat would lock out to just a few units at a time and on any given day different units would lock out.

Well the previous tech changed some parts that were suspect but nothing worked. Weeks went by and finally and at first glance after looking at the 2" gas line which appeared undersized thought this could be the problem. It was determined that only on a full load there was not enough gas pressure to supply all the units at the same time. One or two would lock out at the rest ran just fine.

With a simple gauge it was determined that there was only 2" W.C. Only enough for first stage.

How about the furnace which was over firing and cracked the fire box and caused a flame roll out, and burned all the controls.

Or the wall furnace over fired and ruptured the fire box.... you get the idea.

Post Likes
    Mr bill can you tell me why you wouldn't clean a flame sensor with sand paper, I have always seen it done that way and the school I went to did the same, just curious, always wanting to do things the right way, and I've never heard of using a dollar bill, that's interesting

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hkempf View Post
    Mr bill can you tell me why you wouldn't clean a flame sensor with sand paper, I have always seen it done that way and the school I went to did the same, just curious, always wanting to do things the right way, and I've never heard of using a dollar bill, that's interesting
    The sand will melt into glass and cause poor signal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hkempf View Post
    Scars the surface of the sensor and causes it to corrode quicker.

Use steel wool or a 3M pad. I use a dollar bill mostly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Scars the surface of the sensor and causes it to corrode quicker.

Use steel wool or a 3M pad. I use a dollar bill mostly.
    Makes sense, I've heard the glass story, ever hear that?

Post Likes
    That makes sense, it's not actual sandpaper I've been using but a sanding cloth, but I will switch just to be safe, thank you for the advice , I'm always wanting to do things the right way

Post Likes
    thank you to the 1 person who help me,i been understood there are alot of negative energy on hvac talk but i ignore it .so i got the burner back but still goes out how do i test the flame sensor rod cleaned it ,its still shut off gas valve after a couple sec

Post Likes

the best way to test electronic flame sensor

what is the best way to test the flame sensor to understand that it really needs replacing

Post Likes
    With your meter.
    The comment you made in the other thread about negative energy is uncalled for. I'm curious why you came back for advice if we are such horrible people.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes

yep

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    With your meter.
    The comment you made in the other thread about negative energy is uncalled for. I'm curious why you came back for advice if we are such horrible people.
    lol obviously you maybe the negative energy im speaking of but if you are not why speak on it .i didnt here for drama ,i come to surround myself with individual who think like me and learn new things that i will face in the field

Post Likes
    ok...my meter huh ....ohm,amps,volts,? during the heating after burners lit ,i put my clamp on meter on it and read like 0.3 give or take 2 amps is this right

Post Likes
    Maybe I am. Seems you're the only one that feels that way. Testing flame sensors is hvac101. You should have learned it in school. If not ask for a refund.

Post Likes
    You're checking for microamps. If your meter doesn't have a microamp setting you are SOL

Post Likes
    ok thank you now we getting some where micro amps ,i think my meter doesnt check for micro amps but like you hvac101 ,can i wrap the wire around the jaws and divide and get a micro amp reading

Post Likes
    No. Microamps are checked in series with the sensor. You need the proper meter.

Post Likes
    oh yes you are right direct current right i would have 2 place the meter in series with the flame censor circuit and get the amp reading this way . so you telling me i need a special meter to do this i paid 200 for my meter it should do this function so what meter i need then.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Makes sense, I've heard the glass story, ever hear that?
    No I don't believe so.

Post Likes
    Check uA reading.

Post Likes
    Merged threads. Please don't make duplicate threads bout the same problem, thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in