+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help with in floor radiant heat

Post Likes

help with in floor radiant heat

Ill start from the beginning. I went to the customers house there was a leak on the return manifold. I tried to get replacement parts but was unable to... so i replaced the supply and return manifolds. Since doing so the floors dont get warm enough and the kick board heaters(2nd stage) are over heating. I cant seem to get any heat to the floors.

There are 3 zones two of which have 2nd stage kickboard heaters. The system isnt piped primary secondary like i would of liked, the supply and return run out from the boiler first tying into the first kickboard heater then the infloor radiant heat manifolds then to the last kickboard heater to complete the loop.

I have the infloor looped balanced at .75 gallon a minute according to the gauges on the supply manifold, the radiant mixing valve set to 120 degrees. The tubing is 1/2 inch pex

Name:  radiant.png
Views: 1567
Size:  12.6 KB

bad picture but gives you an idea of how its piped. What should the flow rate through the pex to get good heat transfer? Any info would be great thanks

Post Likes
    I know that this is obvious..... Air??
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

Post Likes
    Hydronics 101: flow & temp drop will tell you the btu's/hr you're delivering to the floor.
    You said you balanced the flow to .75gpm with 120 input. Q = 500 x .75 x 20. 20 being the highest delta T a residential temp drop should be (IMO) Q = 7500 btu's/hr.
    Now, if the .75 gpm was across the entire manifold, not much heat going out to the zone/hr when you figure it's across X amount of loops. If that was the flow on each loop that should be showing some warming in that zone.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    You will need to remove the air that YOU put in the system

Post Likes
    It΄s not just the air You will have to remove. To do that You will have to control that You have the RIGHT static pressure (P0) in the vessel and the right Pa for the system.

Br // Michael
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-19-2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Removed link to his company

Post Likes
    Sorry!
    Wrong link.
    Use this: <Removed link to your company>
    Then download the animation that You find under "Documentation" - Mowies/training. // Michael
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-19-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Removed link to his company

Post Likes
    If you haven't you need to purge it out. Loop by loop force the air out.

Post Likes
    Michael, you must be a Pro member to have a link to your company, and then it must be in your sig, not in the post body itself.

Please get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership, thank you.

Post Likes
    stop and purge

Post Likes
    If the problem is in the system (aside from air) I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure where to start because the drawing is pretty poor.
    I can only assume what is where and by what I am assuming..... The loop isn't even built correctly. I'll assume I am mistaken but sorry, I cant deduce anything from this and this is what I do.

Just because it was working before you got there doesn't mean it was right before you got there.

Post Likes
    Name:  121.png
Views: 923
Size:  25.2 KB

Here is what it should look like if you want everything to work. Is this how it is put together?.

Cant find the option to delete a post so guess I am working on my post count now

Post Likes
    Name:  121.png
Views: 923
Size:  25.2 KB

Here is what it should look like if you want everything to work. Is this how it is put together?.
    (opps!) in my haste to draw this out, I brought the kick heaters return in front of the mixing valve. That should be after the mixing valve toward the boiler. Adding a flow check between the kick heater and radiant return isn't a bad practice either.

Post Likes
    Name:  122.png
Views: 970
Size:  25.5 KB

Like this

Post Likes
    I dont see anything wrong with his system, maybe the drawing is rough and maybe missing some items but it has one main loop with one pump and 3 secondary loops with individual pumps.

Post Likes
    I was thinking that there was one pump and then zone valves. If it is all pumps then it is still wrong although it isn't as bad as it would be with valves. The entire system can be run with one pump so having 4 doesn't make sense and if they were all circulators then there would only need to be three unless there was a re-circulation loop which there isn't due to the fact that there would be a mixing valve within the only possible loop.... which (again) makes me believe that it is one circulator an three zone valves.

I see that he put a circle as pump but he only designated one circle properly with the triangle within it. It's all so convoluted I just went to logic over stated.
    If you are correct then I can see why at least one kick heater is getting smoked and the flooring is getting robbed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by butternut View Post
    Name:  122.png
Views: 970

Like this
    Should the kicks be mixed? Wouldn't they be high temp? Not saying just asking. If they are mixed why does the return have to be piped after the tee on mixing valve?

Post Likes
    Name:  223.png
Views: 357

Here is the high side version.
    Depends on your design, as to what you run. I dont like the blast furnace effect from kicks. When I do use them it's for cold spots, not area's. Toe heater is how I sell mine and that's all I expect from them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Michael, you must be a Pro member to have a link to your company, and then it must be in your sig, not in the post body itself.

Please get your post count up to 15 and apply for pro membership, thank you.
    Ok, if You say so. /
    Micke

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by butternut View Post
    Name:  223.png
Views: 357

Here is the high side version.
    Depends on your design, as to what you run. I dont like the blast furnace effect from kicks. When I do use them it's for cold spots, not area's. Toe heater is how I sell mine and that's all I expect from them.
    Ok makes sense

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in