Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NC, It depends on how deep his pockets are....

You will NEVER stop the *****ing and moaning from the tenants.

I have a couple of these (accounting office who rents to realtors, investment people etc.).
    We have done this with a simple zoning system as stated above, with a central hall return (if possible) You can do crossovers to the hall if necessary. You will have to look hard at the duct work and probably have a "dump" zone. "Most of the time" zoning will help the capacity problem because some people will be hot/cold natured and need less airflow.

P.S. I really like the "auto correction" feature of this site!
    I did not know it was there.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    NC, It depends on how deep his pockets are....

You will NEVER stop the *****ing and moaning from the tenants.

I have a couple of these (accounting office who rents to realtors, investment people etc.).
    We have done this with a simple zoning system as stated above, with a central hall return (if possible) You can do crossovers to the hall if necessary. You will have to look hard at the duct work and probably have a "dump" zone. "Most of the time" zoning will help the capacity problem because some people will be hot/cold natured and need less airflow.

P.S. I really like the "auto correction" feature of this site!
    I did not know it was there.
    Yes i agree with behappy, i deal with this all the time. A VAV system with a bypass and zone dampers is the only way. and depending on the time of year reheats is the next step. Dont use return air sensors, Dont move the current thermostat, because where ever you move it to, that's the temp it will use to control the RTU. and if you put it an office, when that person leaves and locks the door, no one has access. the reason they have it in the common area is because its common. The other option is just add reheats, run the fan during occupied times and manually switch the mode to heat or cool (depending on time of year and give the tenant a stat to control the reheat. But i would strongly advise air balance. Some complaints may be air blowing on them, Lastly look to see you have proper return to the RTU.

A small bit of information-

Variable air volume is a different system altogether than a constant volume zone control.

VAV is used on large central equipment with capacity control.

Zone systems are adapted to small unitary equipment and do not vary the volume of air through the unit, only the volume delivered to the zone. (on/off not proportional) The bypass is installed so rated airflow can be maintained through the unit.

A zone system might work nice for this building if done right. Your probably looking at a new duct system or a heavy mod to the existing to yield good results.

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    A small bit of information-

Variable air volume is a different system altogether than a constant volume zone control.

VAV is used on large central equipment with capacity control.

Zone systems are adapted to small unitary equipment and do not vary the volume of air through the unit, only the volume delivered to the zone. (on/off not proportional) The bypass is installed so rated airflow can be maintained through the unit.

A zone system might work nice for this building if done right. Your probably looking at a new duct system or a heavy mod to the existing to yield good results.
    well said, i get so used to saying VAV...when i mean zone systems...bad habit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12