Just wondering what if any good, or bad might result from pulling a vacuum on a glycol/water loop and letting vacuum pull glycol and water into loop? Thought process was to eliminate as much air from loop as possible at fill as options for eliminating air after fill are not best case senario, but possible. We gave it a shot today and it seemed to go well, no air at multiple petes' plugs in mutiple locations, not able to run pumps yet, as always waiting on electricians. Any comments welcome, I live to learn and won't be discouraged if I appear stupid, just have not had to fill too many loops and was wondering if this proccess might work. Situation includes liebert drycooler on thirteenth floor, watercooled condensors on eighth floor connected to airhandlers on same floor.

Wink

I have filled hundreds of systems over the years including having tankers come to job to pump in the glycol, but never pulled a vacum. I usually request all high pionts to have vent ports installed. I buy the cheap bucket vents and install them during fill up. Then remove the vents and I plug the ports.
    "My hands are for sale"

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but you're limited to ~30' in height you can lift it.

Also, any automatic air vents you installed aren't going to like it.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Talking One place not to put the Hoffmans

The suction side of the pumps, especially if they're near the high point, usually the case on the Liebert layout.

Make an air trap by using a T with about 3 times run diameter pointing up, then reduce down to either an automatic vent or just a valve you can come back to when needed.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Smile got power today

We got power to the equipment today, thought I would see what happened, was surprised to see that loop appeared to be air free, pumps ran smooth, no surging, steady amp. draw, no gurgling or other signs of air, not my normal line of work, trying to help catch up piping jobs that got over booked. Any comments on what I might need to look out for or check would be welcome as I'm not up to speed on this piping thing!

Wink

Make sure you have the proper mixture for the climate your in. We use 60% water/40% glycol.
    "My hands are for sale"

on new piping projects it is becoming more commonplace that systems be fully filled, circulated for a couple of days then flushed for cleaning purposes. All baskets pulled on strainers, then refilled with the solution per spec. on initial fill this allows you to calculate volume if piping runs all over and cannot be accurately measured.

How is your vacuum pump? I've filled systems anywhere from 10 gallons to 38,000 gallons. Never used a vacuum pump. I used my vacuum pump on an absorber once.. it was junk after that. Hey if it worked good going.

Are you allowing the sysem pressure to run down into a vacuum and then essentially topping off w/glycol ...or are you putting a pump on the sytem and bringing into a vacuum ,then drawing in the glycol..never considered that!