New Furnace or repair the heat exchange?

Hello all, first timer here! Had my annual furnace check up this week and was told I have a cracked heat exchange. Currently using a 16 year old Carrier that was installed by the builder when we first built the home. Got 3 quotes with some differing opinions and the such, but the guy who I seemed to trust the most gave me a bunch of options. First was to simply fix the heat exchange. Pricey, but not crazy for sure and certainly cheaper than replacing the unit. Other options are based on efficiency, yada yada. He seemed to lean towards Carrier telling me that Tranes just aren't what they used to be. But he does sell and install Tranes too. Anyway, I'm probably gonna be in this home for another 8 to 10 years. I don't want top of the line nuts, and I don't want the bare minimum. And my feeling is just fixing the problem may lead to further problems down the road. Any advice for a newbie??? Thanks to all in advance!

I think you may have misunderstood " he going to repair the heat exchanger" or replace it

as I may think some could be repaired with whats at stake it should never be attempted by any one period!!!

I'm sure you're correct on the replace. I'm going on my wife's correspondence! Thanks.

At that vintage, I'd say replace the furnace.

My vote would also be replace the furnace. In another 10 years most if not all the parts of that furnace will have been replace and you'll be kicking yourself for spending as much as a new one would have been.

What the model and serial number ?
    Were do you live ?
    If its and 80% eff. I'd replace it, if its a 90% how many repaires have you already made ?
    luck dan

the one you like the most is he the one that condemed the heat exchanger .or did they verify a crack
    We really need change now

other than that I wouldnt spend my money on a h.x. as a furnace has a life expectancy of 20 years go new and really do your homework ,find a good quality instalation contractor ,get several quotes and refrences ask about their service after the sale

This is silly, a sixteen yr old residential furnace with a cracked heat exchanger needs to be recycled for the metal even if you plan on spending the next week in the house.

thanks to all for the comments. I have done some homework and got 4 quotes. I agree that replacing the heat exchange is silly at this point and even the guy who brought it up didn't recommend it.........he just said it was an option if money was REALLY tight. I'm narrowing it down between 2 of the businesses who seem to have the best reputation. One is for a Trane XV95 and the other is for a Carrier Comfort 92. Pricing seems awfully competitive plus some good rebates and 0% financing on both. Anyone have any thoughts on these 2 systems or is it basically a wash and go with the best price / installer? Thanks!

never compromise a quality install to save a nichol