Hi,

Few days ago company installed natural gas fireplace insert. I am planning to put in face of my fireplace drywall. I bought Fire rated drywall and planning to make sure that drywall is at least 3 inces from insert.
    I run fireplace for an hour and checked around fireplace to see if surround is hot. It is room temperature on the sides and bottom of fireplace. But on the top of the insert I have and opening about 1 feet high (arch form, 1 feet at the top level). That opening is preatty hot. How safe is to cover this opening with fire rated drywall? Any other options I would have?

Thank you very much.

Exclamation That is not safe.

Drywall is considered a combustible because of the paper.
    You need to use something 100% non combustible such as wonderboard (aka Duroc) or micore 300.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Cool read the manual!!!!

Ditto Collin. Read the manual for clearances. Yes, even fire rated drywall is considered combustible in fireplace world. If you need a non-comb. sheathing, look for an ASTM E-136 rating such as Durock (USG).

HTH

Double ditto! Usually 'inserts' are designed to be inside of a masonary fireplace (non combustable) Any material installed around teh face of the unit MUST be non-combustable material. (durock, hardi-backer etc). Check the clearances shown in the installation manual or contact the manufacturer for sure, or else kiss your insurance goodbye!
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

I have pictures of some drywall I ripped off a unit that was violating clearances... it is nice and black and crispy. "Fire" rated drywall just takes longer to burn, in no way is it non-combustible.

Thanks everybody for your help. You saved me a lot of head ace!

But I still have a question. If I will install cement board, I do not believe I can paint it. Can I install cement board first, and then 3 inches away from fireplace insert on top of cement board install drywal? Fireplace insert has 6 inches wide cast iron surround, so fact that drywall will be 3 inches away does not bother me - gap will be covered with cast iron surround.

Basically... an insert is not made to have walls or other construction built around it. They are made to be inserted into an existing fireplace and finished off with a surround panel. Look in the install manual.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the 'insert' refered to in the original post is actually a gas fireplace, not an insert.

Originally posted by jtp10181
    Basically... an insert is not made to have walls or other construction built around it. They are made to be inserted into an existing fireplace and finished off with a surround panel. Look in the install manual.

I actually meand real gas insert. I had a wood burning fireplace, then company came in and put Napoleon GDI30 insert in.

I replaced drywall I planned to install with Durock cement board and on top of board I'll put limestone tiles. I decided not to play with fire and do job right.

Thanks everybody for your help