Will start system integration project, input appreciated!

Hi,

I recently joined this forum as I have started developing great interest for HVAC Control.
    Unfortunately I am not able to go for training courses, and my school's control class is mainly theory and I would like to learn a more hands-on approach.

I found out the best way to learn is by doing it yourself.
    I was wondering if there was any relatively cheap way (Under 500$) to get some control modules and try to integrate my old home appliances into something like Bacnet where I could control them webbased?
    I know for learning FPGAS, Xilinx offers self-training products in order to learn the basics. I was wondering if anyone might know some cheap PLC/modules and maybe open source software I could start playing with?

I am looking to start by controlling 2 old heaters and 3 Air Conditioning Units plus my garage door. I have done some PLC lab work at school but it is also a superficial look and not such a hands on approach.

Any wild ideas are greatly appreciated.

Check at the bottom of the forums under "junk yard". Might be some there.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by aagonza3 View Post
    Hi,

I recently joined this forum as I have started developing great interest for HVAC Control.
    Unfortunately I am not able to go for training courses, and my school's control class is mainly theory and I would like to learn a more hands-on approach.

I found out the best way to learn is by doing it yourself.
    I was wondering if there was any relatively cheap way (Under 500$) to get some control modules and try to integrate my old home appliances into something like Bacnet where I could control them webbased?
    I know for learning FPGAS, Xilinx offers self-training products in order to learn the basics. I was wondering if anyone might know some cheap PLC/modules and maybe open source software I could start playing with?

I am looking to start by controlling 2 old heaters and 3 Air Conditioning Units plus my garage door. I have done some PLC lab work at school but it is also a superficial look and not such a hands on approach.

Any wild ideas are greatly appreciated.
    The cheap way to go is get a job with a control contractor and see if you can pick up old parts on retrofits to take home and fiddle with. I have parts and software from just about every manufacturer in my market that I've used to understand the competition. Most retrofit parts just get tossed after the job, but make sure to ask your customer first.

If you want to really go wild, do some homework on google for raspberrypi, arduino, xbee and you can go download the bacnet stack for linux on sourceforge http://bacnet.sourceforge.net/ . That's the hard way to do it, but it's possible.

Ebay