+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to become an hvac tech in Massachusetts?

Post Likes

How to become an hvac tech in Massachusetts?

Hey new here first post im from MA. My father has his own hvac business and i have probably about 2 years of on the job experience. I have been trying to figure out what i want to be when i grow up since i graduated high school and im 21 now. I have a decent amount of residential experience. I recently decided id like to become certified and actually be a legitimate tech instead of working towards nothing. So my question is how do i do it? Do i have to become and apprentice? I searched all over google couldn't find anything straightforward enough. Just looking for some steps.

Post Likes
    Welcome, if you are going to work resi and small commercial (anything under 10 tons) you do not need any refrigeration license. Anything over 10 tons you need a license. You need 150 hrs of electrical code and 100 hrs of theory. You can take those classes at some tech schools. I am currently attending the Peterson School in Woburn, but there is one in Westwood and a small branch in Worcester too. If you take the commericial and industrial refrigeration class you will also get your recovery license as well if you dont have it already. After that you need to get a licensed mechanic to sign off that you have at least 6000hrs of on the job experience and then sit for the test. Here is a link to the dept of safety website.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-p...n-license.html

Here is a link to Peterson School website as well.

http://www.petersonschool.com/

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC-matt View Post
    Welcome, if you are going to work resi and small commercial (anything under 10 tons) you do not need any refrigeration license. Anything over 10 tons you need a license. You need 150 hrs of electrical code and 100 hrs of theory. You can take those classes at some tech schools. I am currently attending the Peterson School in Woburn, but there is one in Westwood and a small branch in Worcester too. If you take the commericial and industrial refrigeration class you will also get your recovery license as well if you dont have it already. After that you need to get a licensed mechanic to sign off that you have at least 6000hrs of on the job experience and then sit for the test. Here is a link to the dept of safety website.

Here is a link to Peterson School website as well.

http://www.petersonschool.com/

Good luck.
    Thanks so much, since ive been doing this for 2 years can my dad count the hours ive already put in as time towards that? How does the hours work

Post Likes
    Yes you most definetly can even in the apprenticeship through the state they take previous hours and count them towards your time. Peterson is a pretty good school and they know exatly what you need to get your license. The commercial and industrial HVAC class is geared more towards residential so you will probably be ahead of the class.

Post Likes
    Yes you most definetly can even in the apprenticeship through the state they take previous hours and count them towards your time. Peterson is a pretty good school and they know exatly what you need to get your license. The commercial and industrial HVAC class is geared more towards residential so you will probably be ahead of the class.
    Ok thanks man appreciate all your help. Can you give me a rough number for how much the electric code and the theory classes cost $$

Post Likes
    The electrical code is about 1700$, commercial ref is about 4200$ and then there is a class called hvac code prep which is only 30 hrs and gives you the final hours to get the 100 for theory and that is like 600$. Sucks they dont do any financial aid but if you look on the website you only have to pay a portion down and then do weekly payments so its not that bad. Where do you live and what company do you work for?

Post Likes
    The electrical code is about 1700$, commercial ref is about 4200$ and then there is a class called hvac code prep which is only 30 hrs and gives you the final hours to get the 100 for theory and that is like 600$. Sucks they dont do any financial aid but if you look on the website you only have to pay a portion down and then do weekly payments so its not that bad. Where do you live and what company do you work for?
    Near marlboro. Why cant i figure out how to private message you?

Post Likes
    Wentworth used to offer the electrical code classes. It's been a few years since I went thru the Ma. license process.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    Wentworth used to offer the electrical code classes. It's been a few years since I went thru the Ma. license process.
    Ok thanks ill check it out, ive heard the Peterson school is a little on the high side $$

Post Likes
    For the apprenticeship, do all my hours have to be on the books? Because i have about 2 years of under the table hours and 1 year of on payroll hours at the moment

Post Likes
    Peterson was kind of pricey. Wasn't really very impressed with their program, but it got my foot in the door.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsik View Post
    For the apprenticeship, do all my hours have to be on the books? Because i have about 2 years of under the table hours and 1 year of on payroll hours at the moment
    Anyone?

Post Likes
    Just my opinion, but probably won't be good hours. You're 'under the table' hours would probably create tax problems for you and your employer.

Post Likes
    Sorry been away from the computer over the weekend Datsik. I am almost positive you would need to have W-2 to support your hours. My coworker just got his license and they didnt ask for any of his W-2's, just a letter from my boss saying that he has worked under his supervision for the last 6 years, even though he only needs 3. Like I said Peterson is alittle pricey but for me its easier then going to Wentworth. I tried to send you a PM but you have you PM status disabled. Have to go to your profile and change it to allow you to accept them.

Post Likes
    Sorry been away from the computer over the weekend Datsik. I am almost positive you would need to have W-2 to support your hours. My coworker just got his license and they didnt ask for any of his W-2's, just a letter from my boss saying that he has worked under his supervision for the last 6 years, even though he only needs 3. Like I said Peterson is alittle pricey but for me its easier then going to Wentworth. I tried to send you a PM but you have you PM status disabled. Have to go to your profile and change it to allow you to accept them.
    yeah not sure why but i tried everything under setting and profile.. anyways, do i need to fill out some sort of application for this? and does my employer need to be a part of or registered with some apprenticeship program or something.. just a bit confused on what i need to do here. Is there some documentation anywhere i can find on what classes i need etc etc

Post Likes
    Your company needs to be registered with the state, I know that there is some paperwork involved and then a fee of 100$ for the year I believe. The link below is a link for the apprenticeship for you to fill out to register with the state.
    http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-p...pprentice.html

This also has a link of approved schools that the state will accept hours from.

The link above tells you the hours and class hours you need to get your license. I know it is better to be able to get into an apprenticeship program but not sure if your employer would go through the process, it takes some work on there part. If i were you I would get into school and then in another year if you finish your required schooling hours have your employer sign off on your 6000 hrs and then sit for your license.

Post Likes
    If you go to settings on the top of the page and then go to general settings on the left hand side. Then half way down you will see a setting for private messages.

Post Likes
    If you go to settings on the top of the page and then go to general settings on the left hand side. Then half way down you will see a setting for private messages.
    not sure what the current rules are but I believe you need to get your post up to activate the PM feature.

However, one or both of you can post your Email address in your profile so the other can engage you in Email conversation.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    BTW, does anybody know what the deal is for a experienced person coming in from out of state as either a tech or a contractor?

Thanks. Might be relevant to me in the future. Keep in mind the Colorado has no state level licensing.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Your company needs to be registered with the state, I know that there is some paperwork involved and then a fee of 100$ for the year I believe. The link below is a link for the apprenticeship for you to fill out to register with the state.
    http://www.mass.gov/eopss/consumer-p...pprentice.html

This also has a link of approved schools that the state will accept hours from.

The link above tells you the hours and class hours you need to get your license. I know it is better to be able to get into an apprenticeship program but not sure if your employer would go through the process, it takes some work on there part. If i were you I would get into school and then in another year if you finish your required schooling hours have your employer sign off on your 6000 hrs and then sit for your license.
    im just trying to apply to become an apprenice, not for the apprentice license. So for the application it says all i need is:
     -Completed Application with proper mailing AND home address, social security number.
     -Attached 1" x 1.25" photo (Unless Authorization for Release of RMV Photo Information Signed-Off)
     -Copy of your Division of Apprentice Training Card
    Division of Apprentice training, 19 Staniford St. 1st floor, Boston, MA 02114 / Tel: 617-626-5409
    - Must provide proof that you are at least eighteen 18 years of age.
     -Non-refundable application processing fee ($40)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in