+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defrost timers

Post Likes

Defrost timers

Which brand do you guys find to be the most reliable? Seems like I'm constantly replacing paragon. Always sticking in defrost. The last few, I've gone with Grasslin. Also, I have a catalog that sell the Paragon timer motor by itself....anybody tried that?

Post Likes
    I prefer Paragon's for durability but we stock Grasslins on out trucks because you only need to stock 1 clock. They are almost idiot proof now. No more dip switches.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I like paragon myself.

Post Likes
    Seems like most of the paragons I replace are 20 or 30 years old, and the grasslins I replace are around 5.

Post Likes
    We use paragon also and I rarely replace them. I've only seen 3 failed....

Post Likes
    The Paragon mechanical timeclocks have lost a lot of their reliability from my experience. It used to be my standard "go-to" clock, but since they started manufacturing them in China, I'm lucky to get 2-3 years out of them.

The Grasselin is quite popular, but I had some souring experiences with them. The first one I tried fried an output relay within a week. A 40 amp (rated) relay should do that when tied to a 1 HP 230V unit. Since then, I haven't bought any but have a half dozen fail with a year on new units.

My preference now is Paragon's 9145-00, which I've used for about 5 years or so with zero problems.

http://www.uni-line.com/images/docs/150-1893D.pdf

Post Likes
    Ive seen gobs of the paragons fail. Usually still trying to turn but stuck in defrost. I like the grasslin but have only used them for a few years so cant attest to the reliability. Not fitting back into the paragon box is a PITA though and the last one i put in wouldnt even fit in the dam condenser enclosure. Had to trim the plastic housing to get it to fit.

The 9145-00 looks interesting. No mechanism to seize.

Thx for the input

Post Likes
    Paragon 9145-00... Only had 3 or 4 fail... The "newer" 8145-20's or the 8141's are a different Story. Always fine them sticking.

Post Likes
    I like the para's too. But I do make sure to give the gears a quick spray with WD before I install them. Once I get rid of the Para's I will just stock the grasslins. I haven't had a problem with them yet to put a sour taste in my mouth.

One clock to rule them all!!!

Post Likes
    Are the Paragon 9145's similar in price to the Grasslins? I'll have my shop look into them. I'm so not a fan of the Grasslins.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Are the Paragon 9145's similar in price to the Grasslins? I'll have my shop look into them. I'm so not a fan of the Grasslins.
    If you were to compare the Paragon 9145-00 with the Grasslin DTAV40, I'd say they're comparable in price...but my supply house has the Paragon set just a tad higher.

One feature I like about the Paragon is its 100 hour program backup capability. Since it's truly electronic timer, it can do such things.

Post Likes
    That's an interesting timer ice. Have any of you guys tried the KE2Therm on demand defrost controller yet instead of all this madness?

Post Likes
    "They are almost idiot proof now."

Let me at one...

Post Likes
    I think spraying WD40 on the gearing at install is a bad idea. Those gears run dry, and the pinions are greased at the factory. You are adding dirt-collecting oil to the gears, and possibly washing away the grease from the pinions.

Post Likes
    Regarding the 9145-00:

Have you guys had good success with these things controlling a moderate load?

Usually on large systems they are just switching control loads, but we have had some bad luck controlling compressor loads with them. Evidently if you take the timer apart and look at the contact points, they are puny compared to the mechanical timers, and we've had some fail years ago.

I'd like to start using them more often because of dual voltage/battery backup.

Example, I have a make-line type cooler that needs a timer added. I believe the paragon terminal E is rated at 30 Res amps, and my compressor amps are probably around 12A. Should be well within ratings.

Post Likes
    Jared, I know you're asking about the Paragon, but let me tell you about problems with the Grasslins which are rated @ 40 amps. Specificly on True freezers. It's very common for the compressor relay contacts to weld shut. This is on a pump rated no more than 14 amps. I was told by True it is due to the inrush of current on startup especialy after a defrost. Their solution is to add a relay, which they did on later models. My solution is to install a Paragon mechanical timer.\
    EDIT: We use Grasslins alot. I have not had issues on tin cans with welded contacts, only on semi's. Grasslins seem to have a short life. I can't say I've seen one last more than a couple years at best.

Post Likes
    Yeah, we've considered adding a relay with the digital timers, but then it's getting to be a chore...
    They already are double the price of the analog, then the wiring and relay, extra time....

But the alternative is the analogs, which aren't as versatile, and if you ever program a long Time-OFF defrost for the middle of the night..and the timer loses power.... Call back

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Which brand do you guys find to be the most reliable? Seems like I'm constantly replacing paragon. Always sticking in defrost. The last few, I've gone with Grasslin. Also, I have a catalog that sell the Paragon timer motor by itself....anybody tried that?
    The motor is usually not the fail point on the Paragon. The gears wear out and the they stop turning.

Post Likes
    I stock the 9145's on my truck and one 9045. Those two will cover 100% of the timers I will come in contact with.

Ryan..
    KE2 is an awesome and innovative concept. Went to a class on them sposored by my supply house, problem is they're a hard sell in my area/current market!
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    I stock the 9145's on my truck and one 9045. Those two will cover 100% of the timers I will come in contact with.

Ryan..
    KE2 is an awesome and innovative concept. Went to a class on them sposored by my supply house, problem is they're a hard sell in my area/current market!
    I just put 2 in this last week. So far no issues and seem to be doing a great job

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in