+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hiring practices

Post Likes

Question hiring practices

Hello,
    Can you tell me if most of your employers start folks off as HVAC install helpers or hire direct into service technicians?

Post Likes
    I started as an install helper, I was so green and these guys moved so fast I didn't last long. Took a spot on the duct cleaning crew while I was still taking classes. Then one day I was explaining the operation of a pump down system to one of the installers, he went and got the service manager and told me "now tell him what you just told me" I was in a van the next week and haven't looked back.

Post Likes
    It depends on the tech if they are naturally good at diagnostics the chance of them moving into service comes sooner.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I don't know of anyone who started out as a service tech. You start out as a install helper because the boss wants to find out if you'll show up to work everyday, how you are with tools, and can you follow directions. Prove to him you can do those things, and beging to take initiative, and you will move over to service. Once you become a service tech it wil take another 3-5 years to become good and even longer to become great. That is providing you strive to be the best.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    What's the qualifications? What's the opening? If we need a tech, they need to be experienced and ready to go. If we need an install, we're often willing to try a helper and see if they have the ability, work ethic & brainpower to work their way up.

Post Likes
    i think most right out of school or with little experience either start out as a helper or in the Maintenance department doing a lot of tune ups until they prove they are ready.

Post Likes
    hard to find anyone in my area..... everyone wants $40 an hour and work 9-4.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I started out as a tech right after school, rode with another tech for 2 weeks and off on my own.

Post Likes
    well done....not many can pull that off......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I love to install but i am only 5 years in the industry thats what i mostly do install but i am still looking for a job as a service technician but i understand its take time because service technicians is the employees who really bring money to the company

Post Likes
    I started by being a grunt for senior tech in residential company. I did this for a year (my last year in trade school). I proved myself and was on my on for another year of light commercial. Got a job offer with a commercial/industrial company. I took it and have been with them ever since. I still learn something new everyday.

Post Likes
    i took some night classes then started off on a commercial maintenance crew then started running calls

Post Likes
    I have never done anything but service first job out of college was refrigeration technician maybe because I was a jet mechanic before going to get my A.A.S. in HVAC/R. I was 4.0 student 21 credits a quarter and working full time At lowes to boot!
    No Brag just Fact.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BManz View Post
    Hello,
    Can you tell me if most of your employers start folks off as HVAC install helpers or hire direct into service technicians?
    Depends on your experience.

If you worked at mcdonalds, you get shipped straight to the "intimidator" (25 year install vet, works 10 hour days minimum, and he's a nutjob) as a helper.

If you have some install experience, you go as a helper to a lead guy.

If you were a service tech, you run a few days with a guy, and then go service.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    you get shipped straight to the "intimidator" (25 year install vet, works 10 hour days minimum, and he's a nutjob) as a helper.
    Reminds me of a shop I used to work at. New guys title/job description was "Reiners bi**h". Reiner was the lead installer.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I did 6 months of school and got a "basic certificate". Got hired with a commercial company as a helper in the service department. I have no mechanical experience and I'm only 19. I guess I got pretty lucky.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in