Apprentice in residential field

I currently am in a 12-18 month program at my local community college which has a adjoined tech school for HVAC, WELDING, ELECTRICAL, CONSTRUCTION ETC. I just completed the first 3 months. I guess you would consider this a diploma program since you actually graduate from the school and get a diploma. For each 3 months of completed study you earn a certificate for a total of 5-6 certificates of completion for the given area of study. Besides the knowledge acquired what other advantages are there for moving up in the field. I found a college online, Ferris College, which has a bachelors in HVAC, what are your thoughts?

What other skills would be vital for a HVAC tech and could improve my overall career..I heard computers, business, engineering, welding...?

I thought about started to get studying and getting certified in NATE what are your thoughts? Also besides that I have 1-2 certs from supply houses from 1 day events I have been attending...and other suggestions for someone trying to learn as much as possible ,but also earn credibility and enhance his career.

All your interest in furthering your career through education shows that your hungry. What is your end game? What do you want to do in the long run? That will go a long way in determining how much education and what certs you will need. If you want to be a residential tech, Why Ferris State? But, it you dream of teaching or the engineering side of hvac, then Ferris State may be the ticket. Anywhere you can get hands on training would be the best. Maybe working for someone that supports your endeavors??? That may be hard to find, but just a thought.

I've looked into Ferris State and it's enticing. All the best!
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

Congratulations for having the desire and ambition that most average technicians lack. You will find that experience is most valuable, but a lack of book knowledge will lower your rate of absorption, and true technical diagnostic ability.

Learn:
    math - without it you will be limited to basics formulas
    physics - without it, there is a greater difficulty of learning concepts
    proper English - if you are well spoken most people will relate your speech to your ability
    public relation skills - you must be able to Listen!, understand, and explain in terms the consumer will understand

You will find, your presentation to the consumer is very important.
    One day you may wake up and say to yourself, " I don't want to be the wrench turner anymore!"

Good luck and welcome to the site. There are a few guys on here that can be very helpful in your quest for knowledge...
    You have over 15 posts, you should apply for a professional membership.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates