+ Reply to Thread

Thread: homeowner install

Post Likes

homeowner install

Pictures pretty much say it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    forgot this one

so basically it runs horiz for 7', 90° DOWN about 2', 90° horiz another 6', 45° UP about 2' and then 45° out the side wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Looks like he's been doing some carpentry too.

Post Likes
    Love the "History tag"
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Hahahahahahaaaaaa

I've seen this before ,,,back in 1992....

Guy ran his vent down and out ,not up And out

Post Likes
    Let him figure it out...does he still have install directions or did his "coworker" trash them?
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Post Likes
    wow ...... kinda not so nice
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    ...so it's a WATER thing... Hmmm.

Post Likes
    Wow, I love how people want you to come and fix the work they obviously should not have been doing. I would give him a good high quote on what it would cost to fix this problem and also charge him a service call for sure for coming out to look at it because you know this guy is not going to pay you to fix this. After you tell him what the problem is he and his "co-worker" will fix it. I would also notify your local inspector about the install as Im sure they did not pull a permit or it would not have passed inspection. It seems like a dickhead move dropping the dime on these people to the inspector but why should you have to pay to register with your local cities and townships for the privilage to work if anyone can do it. I am a one man show so basically self employed. So you know how it is. I have to pay each township, city,village, and the state yearly for my licenses. I dont want to get started on that mess its already firing me up just thinking about that and having to clean up after these idiots. BTW we have local supply houses that will sell anything to any housewife that walks in there. I will not use those supply houses unless absolutely necessary. I get calls every week from people saying they got a furnace or ac from so and so supply house and will I install it. I tell them to get the counter guy who sold it to them to install it. They usually hang up right after I say this but that is not the kind of customer I want anyhow so Im not worried about the lost business.

Post Likes
    i agree 100 %
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeesspoo View Post
    Wow, I love how people want you to come and fix the work they obviously should not have been doing. I would give him a good high quote on what it would cost to fix this problem and also charge him a service call for sure for coming out to look at it because you know this guy is not going to pay you to fix this. After you tell him what the problem is he and his "co-worker" will fix it. I would also notify your local inspector about the install as Im sure they did not pull a permit or it would not have passed inspection. It seems like a dickhead move dropping the dime on these people to the inspector but why should you have to pay to register with your local cities and townships for the privilage to work if anyone can do it. I am a one man show so basically self employed. So you know how it is. I have to pay each township, city,village, and the state yearly for my licenses. I dont want to get started on that mess its already firing me up just thinking about that and having to clean up after these idiots. BTW we have local supply houses that will sell anything to any housewife that walks in there. I will not use those supply houses unless absolutely necessary. I get calls every week from people saying they got a furnace or ac from so and so supply house and will I install it. I tell them to get the counter guy who sold it to them to install it. They usually hang up right after I say this but that is not the kind of customer I want anyhow so Im not worried about the lost business.
    If I wanted to walk in and pay cash to buy parts for the furnace at my house, my local wholesalers might not even sell to me, let alone anybody off the street. After reading your situation, I feel fortunate.

Post Likes
    charged him for 45 minutes of time and turned it over to our sales staff to give him the options and cost to do it right.

left it as I found it, not working!!

electrical was not pretty either, was afraid of getting shocked with wires bulging out of a 2x4 box, switch hanging in the air.

I have often wondered about turning in some of these to the AHJ, but have not as of yet. I do agree that I have to abide by the rules, why should they be any different?!

as for install instructions, they were very weak to say the least. I read through them several times before finding the 1/4" per foot reference. We know it because we do it all the time. NOT that it is an excuse, but it showed in 2 places, in the pictures only, the need for slope to furnace. I circled them in red to make sure they could see it.

Post Likes
    I was also skeptical of turning people in To our inspectors but in actuality nothing really happens unfortunately. They really don't have the authority to just go in someone's home and ask to look at their furnace. But I feel if I don't complain some then I'm just letting it happen. There is really nothing I can do about it either. Maybe I also think in my mind that by me getting a permit and inspection that at least for the cost I also bought a couple minutes worth of *****ing about these other hacks to my local inspector. Ps the mechanical inspector I work with most often is a professional,great guy, that does understand and does what he can to help us contractors...

Post Likes
    I thought the note was kinda nice?

Post Likes
    Just turn the picture up side down, silly!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    What? its pitchin
    Haaa, nice

Post Likes
    Haha

You have the same altitude like me. Got some calls where HO bought the system online, setup it up themselves and wanted me to do the final hook up. They typically tell you "I just need you to do final hook up, soldier the line, recharge the system, connect the vent pipes, ect, it's just a small job." I always tell them sure! I can do it, for $2400 + $500 permit. HO: "WHAT, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND! This will only take you maximum of 3 hours and you want to charge me that much". I replied "No sir, I am not out of my mind, but I think you are. What you are doing is like ordering a live heart online and ask the surgeon to do the surgery for you." Some hang up on me too. Just like you, not the kind of customer my brother and I want.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeesspoo View Post
    Last edited by kingkaiko2002; 11-16-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Post Likes
    I first inspect everything and let them know what needs done to make it safe and in code and if they don't want me to do that- i drop it.
    I'll hook it up and get it going for my usual hour charge +30 bucks an hour more for responsibility and add the materials & tools charge in.

I don't mind it- it pays. Best to have this job than none.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't even have pointed the correct installation notes out at all, since they weren't qualified to begin with. That's just taking away work to a qualified contractor. Also keeps you out of any future liability issues.
    Psalm 51:10, 12

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in