Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    A visual inspection on a 90% furnace is difficult. Heat exchanger most likely have to be pulled. If the split is in the secondary heat exchanger a scope is useless. The pressure test with the magnehelic would be the best test, IMO, without pulling the heat exchanger. Typically a split on these units will cause the unit to shut down on pressure safety.

Ya Hiptech is on the money

Quote Originally Posted by mechanical'al View Post
    Ya Hiptech is on the money
    Stepped away and looked from a different angle. Nicely done.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Hiptech - the first company has not even followed up with me once I challenged him on the warranty on the heat exchanger. I understand all labor would be my responsibility, but York's warranty would cover the heat exchanger itself, correct? It would appear that all the 1st contractor was interested in was making a sale.

I think I will followup with the gas company and see what they have to say. I'll also get additional CO detectors.

there are some crooked techs that lie about cracked heat exchanger .with all the high tech cameras they should be able to show the crack even email you a pic .
    We really need change now

I Agree, 90% furnaces do add to the difficulty level. However, we should stand behind what is told to the customer. If you are telling the customer their heat exchanger is cracked, make sure, they are trusting you. You are the expert.
    I have pulled a heat exchanger before, supposed to be cracked, customer wanted to see. There was no crack, had nothing to show customer. Had to explain that the tech was wrong, nothing wrong with the heat exchanger. Had to put everything back together, could not charge, how could I charge for our techs mistake.
    Found out 1 screw was missing from bulkhead of furnace, allowing air in, causing flame to act lazy, you might say.
    Easy, I would say, have another company out, inspect heat exchanger, just to be safe. If first company isn't responding, they probably were just looking for the easy sale

Try finding one of us near you with our Contractor Locating Map:
    http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123