Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-02-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    jcny

Post mdl numbers of AS condenser and air handler quoted.

The Heritage 15 is quality HP condenser and very comparable to Trane's XR15 model.

IMO
    Heritage 15: 4A6H5030E1000A 2.5 tons
    Air handler: AAM7A0B30H21SA
    Stat: ACONT802

The above will be compared to:
    SEER 15 Performance Carrier 25HCC530 w/ FV4CNF002

and

Lennox DLSS XP17-030-230 (SEER 16.2) w/ CBX32MV-036
    This unit is a comparable pricewise because of the huge Lennox rebate.

Also waiting on 1 more set of proposals from a company that installs both Trane and Carrier. I'd like to consider Trane because I believe in the brand but it looks like I'll be priced out, if even a bit.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by s21 View Post
    Energy Rater, Bryant and Lennox are not affiliated. Bryant is a subsidary of UTC (United Technologies Corp). UTC Owns Carrier, Day Night, Bryant, and Payne among a few others that we don't deal with on the East Coast. A lot of people talk about how similar Carrier & Bryant are on this forum, however Bryant is more similar to Payne.

OP - What is your location? If you're somewhere that the temp drops below freezing I wouldn't recommend a HP & FCU, unless it is a Carrier Greenspeed HP (25VNA). Personally I would look into Hybrid-Heat if you are looking to use the HP as a source of heat. You'll save boatloads of money in the long run...
    Thanks for the suggesting but we're all electric all the time. Trust me, I wish we had access to gas.

s21

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by jcnycarch View Post
    Heritage 15: 4A6H5030E1000A 2.5 tons
    Air handler: AAM7A0B30H21SA
    Stat: ACONT802

The above will be compared to:
    SEER 15 Performance Carrier 25HCC530 w/ FV4CNF002

and

Lennox DLSS XP17-030-230 (SEER 16.2) w/ CBX32MV-036
    This unit is a comparable pricewise because of the huge Lennox rebate.

Also waiting on 1 more set of proposals from a company that installs both Trane and Carrier. I'd like to consider Trane because I believe in the brand but it looks like I'll be priced out, if even a bit.

Thanks!!!
    In my opinion all three systems you're considering will perform well if installed properly. You are aware by now of the importance of selecting the best contractor to install the system, so make that a priority and plan to enjoy the system. The variable speed blower can be set up with the right thermostat to help control humidity in the summer time. Of the three you listed, assuming you're comfortable with all dealers, I'll say I that I like the American Standard/Trane variable speed air handlers for a couple of reasons: they have all-aluminum indoor (and outdoor)coils (resist formicary corrosion that coppers are prone to) and also uses electronic expansion valves which regulate refrigerant flow to the indoor coil more reliably, providing greater efficiency. The other two brands do not have these components, but that doesn't make them poor choices if sold by the contractor you prefer.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 11-02-2012 at 07:07 PM.

I definitely understand that a bad install on a good product is as worse as a bad product.

My dilemma is that the American Standard is substantially more expensive than the Carrier while the Lennox is in the middle. For SEER 15, EER 12.5 and 8.5 HSPF, the Carrier Performance is looking good at this point.

I also have to be aware that I may want to incorporate the Nest thermostat in the new system and understand that the high end Lennox/Carrier Inifnity are not compatible.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jcnycarch View Post
    I definitely understand that a bad install on a good product is as worse as a bad product.

My dilemma is that the American Standard is substantially more expensive than the Carrier while the Lennox is in the middle.

For SEER 15, EER 12.5 and 8.5 HSPF, the Carrier Performance is looking good at this point.
    Thanks.
    Sounds GOOD. Looks like you are "Right On" in recognizing VALUE with Good performance for Your situation.
    You're not close enough to the ocean (< 2 miles) which would make TRANE the overwhelming choice IMO.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Sounds GOOD. Looks like you are "Right On" in recognizing VALUE with Good performance for Your situation.
    You're not close enough to the ocean (< 2 miles) which would make TRANE the overwhelming choice IMO.
    Thank you!

hi all.

one more thing. I recently got a competing quote for a rheem unit, specs below:
    prestige series
    RPQL030JEZ SEER 15, single stage
    air handler RHKLHM3617JA, variable speed
    and it does have EDD

Any thoughts on Rheem as compared to AS, Carrier and Lennox?

Thank you in advance again!

I think Rudd/Rheem are one of the most underrated and overlooked brands in the residential HVAC market including nice heat pumps like the one you were quoted.

Definitely worthy of consideration.

IMO

http://www.rheem.com/product/heat-pu...le-and-2-stage

I guess the problem I have with RHEEM/RUUD is that they aren't
    very picky about who buys their equipment.
    in my area anyone can walk in off the street and buy this equipment.
    any expertiese in even basic refrigerants isn't necessary.

for that reason..there are lots of non pro installs of this equipment
    several house fires, lots of unfunctioning equipment etc.

just what I've seen locally. in La.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

don't matter..... get a good installer......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Actually decided to go w/ the Lennox XP17 XP17-030-230 with CBX32MV-036 variable speed air handler and the iComfort stat. thanks to rebates, it was a super deal from a reputable installer.

Thanks for all of your comments!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast