+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5.4 or 4.6?

Post Likes

5.4 or 4.6?

Looking at a couple service vans to buy. One is a 2007 with 102,000 miles and a 5.4 litre engine. The other is a 2008 with 83,000 and a 4.6 Litre. Both are Ford E-250's.
    The 5.4 puffs a little blue smoke on a cold start.
    I am a little worried about that, but also worried that the 4.6 may not have much get up and go once I get it loaded down with tools. ]
    What is ya'lls opinion? If you have the 4.6 does it have enuff HP and has it been reliable?
    “If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

"Highly efficient equipment and LEED Bldgs are very expensive to maintain in order to keep that efficiency!" ~ Me

Post Likes
    4.6 is underpowered. Doesn't seem to make much power until 3-4k rpms.

Van only has 50k on the odometer, no problems so far.

Post Likes
    HTML Code:
      drivewizard
    I am a little worried about that, but also worried that the 4.6 may not have much get up and go once I get it loaded down with tools. ]

i have trucks with both these motors. I have used both doing service work. The 5.4 is a workhorse, will pull a trailer with a full load of tools in the back, can handle the weight of equipment loaded in the back also. But my 4.6 is a little weaker. Overdrive kicks in all the time when equipment or a trailer is added. Does pretty good of handling the regular city/county roads. gets a little better gas mileage also..
    My favorite for work trucks is my 6.0 diesel, 3/4 ton truck with a 8' bed. That will pull all day and never blink. I would be interested in hearing about how others feel about the diesel sprinter van. I think about diesel for the longevity. Makes sense to me to purchase the equipment for the long term.
    Good Things Come To Those Who Wait, But Only the Things Left Over By Those Who Hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in