Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What a rookie mistake

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348174260.741548.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  34.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348174290.361457.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  44.1 KB

Followed behind a maintenance tech today on a no cool. The client said first he replaced the capacitor and the next day it quit working then he replaced the condenser fan motor and now today your out here and the unit is not working again. Well it was a no brainer just re-wired the cap and like magic the unit was working again!! Geeez I was wondering why they put that schematic thing inside all of the units?? :/

What good is the drawing if you have no idea how to read it.
    Sounds like he needs some electrical training or should stick to maintenance and not do service

even IF you cannot read or understand a schematic/diagram, mark the wires, remember which came from where, look where they go!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    even IF you cannot read or understand a schematic/diagram, mark the wires, remember which came from where, look where they go!!!!
    Yep, what he said^^^^^^^

Hopefully, you found the time to educate him.

As much as I would like to it will not happen I am required to fill out a call back form and send a pic of problem via email to operations and general manager with corresponding invoice number and they will address problem with tech so the proper person can help "train through" the problem,, which did.
    Silly I know,, you should see how much unnecessary paperwork we have to do on a daily basis in order to follow protocol.

You, or another tech at the company, will probably be back some time in the next couple of years to replace that cheap Chinese capacitor again too, so the cycle could get repeated.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Probably, those are garbage

You can tell your guys to do it like that. I like when they can read the diagram.
    So that part changer wire marker gets to a unit and that Chinese cap is blown to pieces no idea what came of what.

That's why HVAC techs can read em part changers can't

Yeah, or take a pic with your phone. BTW, I'm a older guy, so I have trouble remembering my own advice on this! I like to think that's due to not being used to the technology, not a failing memory.

The brown wire is almost always for the fan except on Yorks where there both brown which is stupid imo

Quote Originally Posted by KevinAdv View Post
    The brown wire is almost always for the fan except on Yorks where there both brown which is stupid imo
    the other one is brown with white stripe
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

A first year tech with a multimeter "should" be able to wire the whole unit up from scratch, even with no diagram, and all unmarked black wires.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast