+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: measuring air duct static pressure with a digital manometer

Post Likes

measuring air duct static pressure with a digital manometer

Hey Dudes,
    I can't afford to buy a good tester to measure air flow or static pressure however, I have an off brand digital manometer I bought a few years back to adjust gas valves. it measures inches of water column.

My question I pose is this: is it possible to modify this digtial manometer with a homemade pitot tube of sorts to use to measure static pressures in ductwork.

I'm thinking water column is water column. I was going to get an aluminum tube of some pre-designated i.d. and plug the vinyl hose to it and stick it into the ductwork.

Do you think it will work within reason until I can buy a proper, fancier model???
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Post Likes
    Before I bought a proper set of static tips with my Testo 510, I just used some rubber hose and a bit of copper tubing to take a reading on my magnehelic. It did the job.

That said, proper static tips aren't that expensive and, had I known how much easier they were to use, I wouldn't have waited nearly as long to buy them.

http://www.trutechtools.com/product....FREx4AodeiIAng

3. Likes TBrazin liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So what you're saying is if I buy this tip and connect it to my cheapo digi manometer, I'll be on my way to measuring static pressures??
    Perfect Practice Makes Perfect

Post Likes
    Actually, I'm saying that if you buy this tip you will be measuring static pressures.

Well, you're gonna have to splurge and buy a little tubing, too...

6. Likes TBrazin liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Using a single head digital manometer (or a magnehelic) with a pitot tube will give you the basics of measurement... there is a little math to do also:

First: If you are comparing to the furnace or AH blower charts; measure ONLY through the furnace or AH, NOTHING more. Otherwise, you cannot compare to the fan charts, as they are based on through the furnace or AH only. Note AH's generally are rated with the coil, since it is part of the AH. (Someone correct me if I am wrong on this).
    OTOH; TOTAL ESP (external static pressure) is from before the air filter to after the coil... this is what the fan actually has to fight against.

Having said both, here is an example:
    Say you read -.025 before the air filter, and you read +.035 after the coil... you have .06 EXP (forget the minus and plus, just add them).

Now if you have a Testo 510 (what I use) with two pitot tube probes... remember to check you have the tubes on the proper side of the meter. Otherwise you will get in-accurate readings.

Having the ability to measure ESP is a HUGE help when you have a system that does not respond the way it should (especially in AC mode).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

8. Likes TBrazin liked this post.
    Dislikes Elder Statesman disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    there is a little math to do also:

TOTAL ESP (external static pressure) is from before the air filter to after the coil... this is what the fan actually has to fight against.
    MATH?!?!?!? EEFFFFF that!

Isn't TESP measured after the filter and before the coil?
    That way it includes all resistance in the return side?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    MATH?!?!?!? EEFFFFF that!

Isn't TESP measured after the filter and before the coil?
    That way it includes all resistance in the return side?
    Well... it seems to depend which way one learned TESP... I have heard it both ways.

As noted: If one is referencing the fan charts for the furnace or AH, then measure across the furnace or AH...

However if I was diagnosing a system I suspected of having too much SP, I would do it before AF to after coil (furnace/coil install). This way I would have what the blower was fighting against, including the ductwork.

I think we had this discussion somewhere before, I have forgotten the name of the thread though...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Well... it seems to depend which way one learned TESP... I have heard it both ways.

As noted: If one is referencing the fan charts for the furnace or AH, then measure across the furnace or AH...

However if I was diagnosing a system I suspected of having too much SP, I would do it before AF to after coil (furnace/coil install). This way I would have what the blower was fighting against, including the ductwork.

I think we had this discussion somewhere before, I have forgotten the name of the thread though...
    I believe that math AND reading are required.

Some charts assume certain filters installed and others do not, so ya gotta read the wee tiny print.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I believe that math AND reading are required.

Some charts assume certain filters installed and others do not, so ya gotta read the wee tiny print.
    C'on now JP... we are men... we do not follow directions until there is no alternative... LOL
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    C'on now JP... we are men... we do not follow directions until there is no alternative... LOL
    I must be all bass ackwards.

Working on an unfamiliar unit today, I went out on the roof, reset it, grabbed the manuals, sat down and read them to lead sequence of operations and other basic stuff. Rolled back out on the roof, found the broken connector and went home...

Post Likes
    Hi guys I remember that thread.....ga calls before filter ..well at the blower door on a furnace.

The way the air flows this would be called after the filter..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I must be all bass ackwards.

Working on an unfamiliar unit today, I went out on the roof, reset it, grabbed the manuals, sat down and read them to lead sequence of operations and other basic stuff. Rolled back out on the roof, found the broken connector and went home...
    You know I was blowing off steam... You are to serious today JP... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    hey rundawg..

It's this one!

LOL

Post Likes
    I sent you an email of a presentation I put together awhile back on TESP testing.

I would post it here, but I don't post technical info or manuals, in this "OPEN" forum.

If anyone else wants it, send me an email (address is in my profile).

Footnote:

Using a pitot tube in a residential application not only requires you to do math in public, but will require alot of straight duct, before and after the pitot tube, to get an accurate reading.

Even using the smaller static probes can give inaccurate readings because of turbulent airflow.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    I sent you an email of a presentation I put together awhile back on TESP testing.

I would post it here, but I don't post technical info or manuals, in this "OPEN" forum.

If anyone else wants it, send me an email (address is in my profile).

Footnote:

Using a pitot tube in a residential application not only requires you to do math in public, but will require alot of straight duct, before and after the pitot tube, to get an accurate reading.

Even using the smaller static probes can give inaccurate readings because of turbulent airflow.
    Hey Rundawg, would you be able to send me this info also? Thanks!
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand. Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    Has anyone tried to build their own flow hood and use a digital manometer with fpm display to measure airflow? I was thinking of a testo 510 and a 1'x1' square by 6" long piece of sheet metal duct with a pressure sensing grid. The grid would be 1/4" tubing with holes drilled to measure the velocity pressure and a second grid underneath the upper grid to measure the static pressure. Then attaching a homemade hood to the measuring assembly. You could even make the hood from cardboard to funnel the supply air.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    Has anyone tried to build their own flow hood and use a digital manometer with fpm display to measure airflow? I was thinking of a testo 510 and a 1'x1' square by 6" long piece of sheet metal duct with a pressure sensing grid. The grid would be 1/4" tubing with holes drilled to measure the velocity pressure and a second grid underneath the upper grid to measure the static pressure. Then attaching a homemade hood to the measuring assembly. You could even make the hood from cardboard to funnel the supply air.
    Old trick, works best with a vane anemometer.
    Set the dimensions of the outlet of the box, and do an average velocity reading, the anemometer calculates the CFM.

On residential grills it can be quite accurate if you use a rectangular box, long enough for the turbulence to mostly settle, and are not choking the airflow down with the box.

If you look into how shockingly inaccurate the results from expensive flow hoods can be, you may come to a similar conclusion as other people have.
    The anemometer traversing the outlet of a box method is at least as accurate as a $2000+ flow hood, probably more so if done properly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Old trick, works best with a vane anemometer.
    Set the dimensions of the outlet of the box, and do an average velocity reading, the anemometer calculates the CFM.

On residential grills it can be quite accurate if you use a rectangular box, long enough for the turbulence to mostly settle, and are not choking the airflow down with the box.

If you look into how shockingly inaccurate the results from expensive flow hoods can be, you may come to a similar conclusion as other people have.
    The anemometer traversing the outlet of a box method is at least as accurate as a $2000+ flow hood, probably more so if done properly.
    So an anemometer would be better than a average of the velocity pressure?

Post Likes
    Hey run dawg would you be able to send that to me too? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    So an anemometer would be better than a average of the velocity pressure?
    Absolutely, because a traverse with an anemometer is a direct measurement of the average air velocity, so there is only one step to calculating the CFM.
    With a vane anemometer, no corrections for air density are needed either.

You can do it with a pitot tube and manometer, but then you have to convert velocity pressure to velocity, with associated air density corrections, for each measurement point, average them, then calculate CFM.
    The measurements are also MUCH more subject to error due to turbulence than using a vane anemometer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in