Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Found this in an old box of junk in the school lab. No idea what it is. Looks like a double-ended cold junction thermocouple. The base has a set screw that makes contact with what appears to be an electrical contact point when screwed in. The two sides are color coded and the connecting nut is larger on one side of the "thermocouple" although the threads are the same. Any thoughts or ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Some kind of set up for a dual pilot assembly....is this from a boiler?
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

I have no idea what it's from. The box was full of miscellaneous sh!t that should have been thrown out long ago. There is no opening or orifice for gas to flow through. The base has the two female threaded ports and the thermocouple screws neatly into each side. The set screw makes a connection between the two ends when it is screwed in to the contact point, however, there are no terminals to connect a wire to and nothing to tie into a gas valve.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

that would have been my guess some sort of t-couple checker of sorts

I dunno, maybe someone put this together to mess with someone in the future....never seen anything like this in my 24 years of service.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I dunno, maybe someone put this together to mess with someone in the future....
    It's certainly working, if that was the intent.

I think I just figured it out. Looks like mechanical'al was right. Put a t-couple in one side, other side into gas valve and use the screw to test load and no-load voltage by making and breaking the circuit. At least it looks and sounds logical.
    Attached Images Attached Images