Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Any expert thoughts on quality or reliability differences between the Aprilaire 700 and Honeywell 365 humidifiers--thanks for the help/opinions in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    91
    Pretty much the same thing. I will use either, but usually buy the Aprilaire given the choice. I think they're control is nicer.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,962
    I was part of a blind panel of HVAC experts whose job was to critique humidifiers for a company that was introducing a line of humidifiers.

    The overall consensus was that the AprilAire was the company to follow. A few months later, Honeywell came out with a clone of the AprilAire humidifiers.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naples, Fla.
    Posts
    1,403
    I've used both.

    So far - the Honeywell is a better buy.

    1) It's easier to get into attics
    2) It comes with a composite base / drain
    3) It's already set up for fresh air damper
    4) It comes with the ASHREA 62.4 interface
    5) They claim it puts off less sensible heat - unknown so far
    6) AprilAire only recently provided a float switch terminal.
    7) The Honeywell is of course a Thermastore / branded.
    8) The Aprilaire control center is painfull, their wizbang engineers insist on crafting a complicated control based on dew point... w/ no control #s on the control only funky BARS - creates lots of call backs.
    9) Tie the Honeywell 9000 (features full function fresh air cycling) into the Honeywell DH90 & you have an exceptional system.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grottoes VA
    Posts
    5,856
    Originally posted by coolguysfl
    I've used both.

    So far - the Honeywell is a better buy.

    1) It's easier to get into attics
    2) It comes with a composite base / drain
    3) It's already set up for fresh air damper
    4) It comes with the ASHREA 62.4 interface
    5) They claim it puts off less sensible heat - unknown so far
    6) AprilAire only recently provided a float switch terminal.
    7) The Honeywell is of course a Thermastore / branded.
    8) The Aprilaire control center is painfull, their wizbang engineers insist on crafting a complicated control based on dew point... w/ no control #s on the control only funky BARS - creates lots of call backs.
    9) Tie the Honeywell 9000 (features full function fresh air cycling) into the Honeywell DH90 & you have an exceptional system.


    Nice comparison on a dehumidifier but, OP was asking about humidifier.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Thanks--I ask because I have a Aprilaire 760 that is 10 years old and I keep spending $'s on parts--the Honeywell 360/365 looks like a "drop-in" replacement and comes with a 5 year warranty--I also like the non-metal water pad that the Honeywell uses.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Naples, Fla.
    Posts
    1,403
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by karsthuntr
    [B]
    Originally posted by coolguysfl
    I've used both.


    Nice comparison on a dehumidifier but, OP was asking about humidifier.

    Man - need to cut back on my caffine intake

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    241
    They are pretty much the same,

    Honeywell IAQ (9000) can use any power or non power humidifiers, HE360, HE365, A700, A760 etc, also pads are the same for powered.... The only trick is 24v control voltage for hum, cheapy relay might be needed in some cases (110v).

    And one can hook EARD no matter what you choose.

    May be it is just me, but when humidifier is working it really doesn't matter whatever you choose. Bypass does just as good as powered ( I can not tell the difference) .

    BTW i did not realized that OAT on 9000 connected to external module and not tstat.







  9. #9
    Both are quality products.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6

    Aprilaire 700 vs 600

    Originally posted by hamltnh
    Any expert thoughts on quality or reliability differences between the Aprilaire 700 and Honeywell 365 humidifiers--thanks for the help/opinions in advance.
    While the 700 model may give you a direct "swap" with your old unit, 700 is designed for tight space where a bypass design is not possible. The electric fan in the 700 series is weak and I am not sure it can produce enough humidity for you.

    If you have a choice of space for a bypass design then go for Aprilaire 550 or 600 model.

    Go to Aprilaire website and compare the specs of 550, 600, and 700 series and you will see the difference.

    The HVAC people in my area use Aprilaire alot (and swear by them). I guess the difference between Aprilaire and Honeywell is like Ford vs GM, not much of a diff.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    91
    You gotta explain why you think the 550 or any bypass is better than the 760/700. I don't agree at all, I think a powered humidifier is almost always the better solution.

    [Edited by stafford on 10-26-2006 at 01:53 PM]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event