Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrating HVAC purchase/installation

Post Likes
    And so the saga continues.... We sent in a complaint to the BBB, which Sears FINALLY responded to. We stated our multiple problems and installation errors and inconveniences of the last 6 months, that we didn't feel they advertised their services correctly, their "trusted and licensed technicians" or their product and didn't feel that we got what we paid for, as well as the gross negligence and irresponsible carelessness of not installing it correctly which put my family and property at risk. We asked that they pay for the damages and discount the unit to a more reasonable price due to all the problems, inconveniences and frustration.

Their response was a apology for the inconveniences and frustrations of the last 6 months but never once admitted to or took responsibility for the shoddy installation, damages to our home or fire hazard and safety issue of installing furnace on the wrong fuel source. They offered a %5 discount on the product. (It came out to even less that 1/2 of what my monthly homeowner's insurance premium!) It was again mentioned that every time we have a problem they come out and fix it (it sounds like they feel they are doing us a favor in fixing it!). I told them that I have lost more money than what they offered on time off from work to be home to wait for their technicians (cause they have not ONCE shown up on time or called before showing up), rearranging schedules, phone calls to SEARS, repairs to my home, and headache medication. And that honestly that they feel our family's safety and property's well-being is only worth what they offered was an insult and only pissed me off more. And that we are afraid to use the heater and air conditioner for fear of it breaking again and having to deal with sears AGAIN.

Our response was: I guess its a good thing their sales person talked us into buying their extra protection additional warranty. We will probably be needing it. Sears has no choice but to make the necessary repairs to the unit (it is still under warranty and we purchased an additional- and very pricy -warranty from Sears at the time of purchase). The %5 discount as a “gesture of customer service” is a joke and an insult. We live 8 miles from the nearest fire station. If the furnace had caught on fire then our entire property, contents and anyone inside would have been destroyed before the fire department could have responded. At this time we are unwilling to accept their “gesture of customer service”. Many people use the Internet as a research tool when deciding what company and brand to use in a large investment such as a HVAC system. We will continue to utilize our 1st Amendment right to share our negative equipment and customer service experiences and Sears' lack of responsibility in installing their products and standing behind what they do incorrectly and endangering lives, to anyone considering Sears as an option for home improvement both verbally and on open internet forums and internet reviews. If Sears does not know how to do something as technical as installing heaters on the correct fuel source, maybe they should stick to selling clothing.

After placing more internet reviews (I think the total is up to 7 or 8 now) another General Manager called me today to assure me that the unit was installed and working properly and converted correctly. He apologized for the issues and got to listen to my entire rant of them sending incompetent people into our home and damaging our home and endangering us. He said they spoke to the manufacturer and they said the unit had safeties to protect from starting a fire. To which I told them again that not once did the safeties stop the furnace from working (we didn't even know there was a problem with the furnace) and that I'm sure that since KENMORE is a branch of Sears that they would say whatever benefited them the most. He tried to explain to me how propane furnaces work and about the orifices and that was the only difference between propane and natural gas furnaces. I told him that I know differently and know that larger natural gas orifices allow more fuel to the unit and since LP is heavier than natural gas and doesn't dissipate as quickly it will linger and is basically a ticking time bomb in my attic). They offered to replace the entire unit even though the current one is working (I told them that NO ONE was bring another sears product into my home ever again) and offered more money to make us happy and get us to basically shut up. I also demanded to be provided with copies of all invoices/receipts/documentation of everything they have done in our home (I was never provided with anything to show what repairs or modifications were made). They are going to get back to me next week with more information and a better offer/response.

One thing my husband and I are having a problem with is: what is a reasonable offer? I'm not looking to get this unit for free (that's not why I bought it) but at the same time we know we didn't get what they charged us for: 1. the installers didn't know what they were doing, 2. the damages to our home, 3. the 9 repairs and over 35 phone calls to GET it fixed, 4. the terrible customer service, and 5.the endangering our family.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the update, Lesson learned don't go through third parties for home improvement projects.

Post Likes
    In sorry you had to learn the hard way, but I hope others reading this will learn from your mistake of buying an hvac install from a home improvement store.

Post Likes
    Crysblaz:

You really need to answer the question asked earlier by Brent Ridley.
    Did you have the heat exchanger checked for soot?

Post Likes
    I agree..this is the question you need to have the answer to:
    Did the new contractor inspect the heat exchanger for soot buildup?

what do you feel is fair compensation for the problems of the install?
    you write:
    "I told them that I have lost more money than what they offered on time off from work to be home to wait for their technicians (cause they have not ONCE shown up on time or called before showing up), rearranging schedules, phone calls to SEARS, repairs to my home, and headache medication."

so leave out the drama, and add up what $$ you lost from time off work,
    time to re-arrange schedules
    time spent on phone to sears
    repairs to your home (?)
    & headache meds.
    does this come to 20% of total spent? 30%?
    since you are now negotiating for compensation..
    stick to facts, not feelings. start high so you
    can negotiate down to what you feel is fair.
    keep your cool.
    while this is a safe place to vent, keep it
    here and out of your negotiations.

is your husband willing to help you handle this negotiation?
    if you don't have sucess...let him do the whole man to man thing
    before getting worked up and doing anything to put compensation in jeopardy
    imo it sucks...but sometimes it works.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Go to the meeting with two agendas: Kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

Keep in mind that you're fresh out of bubblegum.

Post Likes
    also keep in mind it wasnt sears that installed the furnace the sub out all installs which im sure they told you ??? prior to you giving them your money to which the sub likly got that same 5%

Post Likes
    The new contractor didn't tell me if the heat exchanger was checked,however he did have experience in repairing units that were switched from natural gas to lp and what needed to be repaired in those situations. When we bought it from the salesman they didn't tell us that they sub out installs. they just told us that their installers and technicians were licensed and professional.

Post Likes
    oh I guess the key word is "their " installers well Id be sure to use that in your negiotiations as they sure implied they were installing the equipment that they had sold you ?!!

Post Likes
    call new contractor and get an answer to the question you have been asked
    numerous times. the reason we keep asking is that this soot build up can
    cause health & safety issues.

focus. this is important.

best of luck. good luck. and.....get answer from new contractor!!!!! geeze
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    a new furnace installed by the contractor you choose would be on top of the list as well as all other issues corrected by your contractor . there will always be a question in your mind as to the condition of that furnace so might as well get rid of it if possible.

Post Likes
    Let me say first that I hated reading what happened. Please believe your experience is not the norm in the ac industry. The majority of us work very hard to provide a quality product with quality service.

In Texas, we are required to be licensed to work with propane by the Railroad Commission. Ask Sears for their license number. The tech must also be certified and this requires classroom hours. I would ask Sears for documentation on the tech as well.

I would ask Sears to cover all labor costs of contractor of your choosing during warranty period. Parts should be covered by mfg, if not then Sears should cover that too. Next ask for additional extended warranty at no charge under same conditions.

Take what they offer in refund and focus more on future savings for maintenance and check up during the lifetime of the system and duct work. This will be where you can hit Sears back. Spend as much of their money as you can till you are confident your system is running correctly. Then spend more of their money maintaining and extending the life of your system. (Has anyone inspected the duct work yet?)

I want to chime in with everyone else about the heat exchanger. We cannot emphasize enough how important this is.

Post Likes
    I talked to the last technician that came out. the heat exchanger was checked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in