Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That is ridiculous It doesn't surprise me though, DO NOT allow them to work at your house anymore. Find another contractor, document everything and then have your lawyer contact the original installer.

I agree....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

the comment about the propane tank reminds me of a site visit to a house doing
    efficiency upgrades. one of these items was to change central unit.
    tech was SITTING on the propane tank charging the a/c when I arrived.

when I asked if they did many propane furnaces..he realized that they had
    installed unit with natural gas.

so did they notice the big old propane tank in the yard...maybe not.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Who did the work?

A well known nationwide company?

Or a local sub-contractor?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Who did the work?

A well known nationwide company?

Or a local sub-contractor?
    I was wondering this too.
    One of the biggest shops in our area lacks competent techs. If you have a license they will hire you, but not paid very well.

Anytime we go to a rural job, we look for the propane tank....

It Happens.... Some homeowners think gas is all the same...... contractor should of known better......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

The company we bought it from was Sears. They sent a salesman out to the house to do the original evaluation and we were told it would be Sears technicians that would be doing the install. When it came time to do the install it was contractors that showed up. The contract company is over a 3 hour drive from our house so if we have problems then its them that comes out (after a long wait of course). I wasn't really pleased with the contractors that showed up at the time (Not professional at all: no uniforms, and didn't show up at a reasonable time, etc).

My husband and I tried to call the regional Sears office today and surprise surprise ---no answer. We both agree that the contract company that Sears hired isn't going to be doing any more work on our property. We were going to tell Sears that we were going to have a HVAC technician of OUR choosing come out and do a complete look-over of the unit and do any repairs that need to be done and they needed to cover the bill. And from here on out that it would be a different company doing any maintenance or repairs other than the original one. I think that we have given them plenty opportunity to make this situation right and they wont even return phone calls like they said they were going to. I think tomorrow I'm just going to call a lawyer and start letting them deal with it. I really hate having to call a lawyer because that just sounds like an ambulance-chaser just looking for a handout and I really despise that. But at this point I don't know what to do. I was going to have my husband deal with it(there is a real "little lady can't do anything without the man making decisions for her" mentality where we are at) because obviously they aren't taking me seriously. Ahhhh...the frustration continues......

o no not sears some of the worst work i have seen was sears , some places they use barly legal non english speaking subs
    We really need change now

why on earth do folks by HVAC equipment from box stores......... huge mistake..... hardly ever a happy ending

I took over a Sears job a few years ago after the homeowner threw their subcontractor off the job.

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    I took over a Sears job a few years ago after the homeowner threw their subcontractor off the job.

That's got to be bad if the HO threw them off the job !!

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    That's got to be bad if the HO threw them off the job !!
    I could salvage the equipment, had to rip out the crawl duct and re-do. Upstairs zone was salvageable with with a few duct mods to make it work.

I've lived in North Texas most of my life and I have yet to see 5 below zero. Coldest I remember is 2 above back in 1979.

OTOH...110+, not out of the question. I've actually seen it hit 113 twice here. Last year and back in 1980 (still worst summer on record for N. Texas).

Sears? Man, they should be driven out of the HVAC business. Stick to selling clothes and clothes dryers. Word to the wise...if the primary aspect of a business is selling stuff, then servicing and installing stuff with quality is not a high priority for them. It's all about getting stuff out the door and your money in their pocket.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast