Thread: How many Returns w/Zoning??

Post Likes
    I am having a Carrier Infinity heat pump system with zoning installed next week. I have requested the following zones…

Zone 1 – Master Bedroom, Master Bathroom (w/2 WIC’s)
    Zone 2 – Living Room, Dining Room, Study/Bedroom #5, Foyer
    Zone 3 – Kitchen, Nook, Family Room, Laundry
    Zone 4 – Bedroom #2 (w/WIC), Bedroom #3, Bedroom #4, Hall Bath, Pool Bath

My contractor has specified 6 returns. One in Master Bedroom one in each Bedroom 2-5 and one in the family room. So effectively zone 2 & 3 will share the family room return. There are no doors between zone 2 & 3 with the exception of the laundry room door.

I asked the contractor why not add a return for zone 2 and he said that there is not one required in zone 2 because there are no doors between 2 & 3. Does this make sense? Would it be better to have one in zone 2?

Post Likes
    We have an almost identical situation w/ a Carrier Infinty system. Seems to work fine.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    He's correct unless you want to maintain different temps in those zones,then you'd want to place the return "on the line" between them,or have one for each zone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in