Measuring efficiency of new Lennox G61V
    Is there a way to measure the efficiency of a new Lennox G61V?

My dilemna is as follow: The house wil be built over Fall & Winter. I paid a premium $$$$ to have furnace upgraded to Lennox G61V (from the G43 that comes standard with the house).

I don't have the owner's manual for the G61V, but I have it for the 90UGF. And in it, it says, "NOTE - 90UGF series must not be used as a construction heater during any phase of construction. Very low return air temperatures, harmful vapors and misplacement of filters will damage the unit and lower its efficiency."

I know for a fact that the furnace will be used during construction of the house and it is logical to assume that this "NOTE" also applies to the G61V.

What I would like to do is get a Lennox guy on the day I take possesion of the house to see how much damage the builder has done to the furnace.

So is there a "scientific" way to measure how much damages was done to the furnace by the builder during construction?

Thanks for your time.

The G61MPV instructions will have the same disclaimer. I keep a couple of old Amana GHN-090 gas furnaces around for the winter to use on construction for that very reason.

Oh yea.....and here's an "Atta Boy" for a great choice in furnaces.

You probably should have filters at every return to protect the ductwork and a filter at the unit. This is not generally a good idea but allowing all that dirt in the system isnt either but we all know they will use it. I would even consider disconnecting the return near the furnace just to keep some control over it.

Tell your builder that you are not excited about the idea of them using the furnace for heat durring construction and would like it if he could provide his own heaters. You may also mention that you would like it cleaned like everything else before you take possession. He should not have too much problem having someone clean it. He pays people to scrub the bathrooms, sweep up the carpet, clean the basement floor and haul off the debris. He should also make sure the HVAC is in new condition when he leaves it.

most all mfg's state that the any furnace or heater not be used for construction heat, 1 It screws up the unit and cruds up the new duct and you will gripe forever about , the unit blows out dust, 2 cheap contractor get your own heater, 3 the gypsum in the drywall is corrosive like caustic soda , and WILL cause the heatexchanger to fail, and it any traces of gypsum is on the HX it voids the Warranty..!! 4 Do you want a new house with a USED UP furnace, I don't think so 5 No one cares about helping the ac and heat guy- on jobs just get it warm or cool. No one helps us get warm or cool!! We get them going and then on to next job

If the system is used for heat during construction the ductwork will also be in less than clean condition even IF the filters are changed frequently. I replaced the supply ductwork in my home and I swear they must have used the duct for a trash bin during consruction, there was sawdust scraps of wood and other junk in the ducts.If I have another home constructed the heating, or cooling system will be sealed and NOT used until the home is finished. There are other ways to provide temporary heat for construction.

Thanks for the answers.

But is there a way for a Lennox guy to evaluate damages to the furnace as soon as I take possesion of the house?

I need to know cause I intend to take the builder to court if he messes up with my furnace and I need to be able to prove it in a court of law. Telling them not to use the furnace won't work. They are the type who commited 13 violations of the Ontario Building code during the first 2-3 weeks of construction (they did fix the violations after I told them about it...).

P.S. I take pics of the house every weekend. If they mess up the house, I'll create a web site providing all the details and ALL the pics.

[Edited by firsthouse on 10-25-2006 at 11:57 PM]

We never hooked up the controls on the furnace till they are 100% done with the dirty jobs like sheetrocking, sanding, and paiting. We loaned used furnace to get temp heat if needed, otherwise, builders I've seen here has thier own heaters.

I'd ask the builder not to use the furnace since you paid big $$$ for it, and ductwork full of what not.