+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High pressure trip w/ low charge

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrene #2 View Post
    Unloading is certainly better than stopping and starting. Do you know of any other systems that unload, rather than starting and stopping ?

I'm beginning to understand how post counters rack up.
    Maybe i'm used to the residential thing! The compressors stays unloaded in 1st stage and doesnt go to second every few seconds!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Well lets hear it!!! You obviously work on them alot!!! I can honestly say! I don't!! SH to low causing floodback!!! Moisture because of POE!! Liquid off cycle migration due to no CCH!!!m I'm here to learn!
    Funny thing is, I don't.
    That's why I called Tech Support, looking for clarification on that particular alarm.

I do know how a refrigeration sytem works, I do know how a compressor works, I do know what's bad for a compressor.
    Do you?

I have no idea what you know, so I'm not about to peck out over 30 years of experience, just so you might find your answer to the problem.

For your problem, as originally posted, if you understand the term of "compressor envelope" you will know where to look.

I hope.
    Last edited by Carrene #2; 10-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Post Likes
    Funny thing is, I don't.
    That's why I called I called Tech Support.

I do know how a refrigeration sytem works, I do know how a compressor works, I do know what's bad for a compressor.
    Do you?
    Yeah, i know starting and stopping isn't good!!!

Post Likes
    The reason it doesn't stay unloaded is for oil return . You could always tell the unit it's not digital and it will just cycle on and off.

Maybe i'm used to the residential thing! The compressors stays unloaded in 1st stage and doesnt go to second every few seconds!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    The reason it doesn't stay unloaded is for oil return . You could always tell the unit it's not digital and it will just cycle on and off.
    Thanks dallas!!! WHy didn't carrier just use 2 five ton scrolls and stage them!!! I could probally buy and replace a 5 ton 5 times for what this ten ton digital is going to cost!

Post Likes
    Thanks dallas!!! WHy didn't carrier just use 2 five ton scrolls and stage them!!! I could probally buy and replace a 5 ton 5 times for what this ten ton digital is going to cost!
    Did you actually read my posts.
    They did include "Misapplied". Hehehe.

Post Likes
    Size matters not sure there is enough room to stick 2 compressors in there for the foot print of the unit I agree with #2 sometimes chillers are oversized. Since most copeland tandems come as a complete unit cost cancels out. Dealing with smaller chillers like that most of the jobs are not professionally engineered it more of a rough guestimate.

Post Likes
    Did you actually read my posts.
    They did include "Misapplied". Hehehe.
    Well, i do know these guys added a secondary loop and tried to run the machine through 1" pipe. It was short cycling like crazy.

Post Likes
    Well, i do know these guys added a secondary loop and tried to run the machine through 1" pipe. It was short cycling like crazy.
    No Kidding.
    Who commissioned it?

Post Likes
    No Kidding.
    Who commissioned it?
    Nobody commisioned that!! They called and asked why it was turning off and on all the time!!!

Post Likes
    Nobody commisioned that!! They called and asked why it was turning off and on all the time!!!
    Just got one like that! Misapplied!

Post Likes
    Just got one like that! Misapplied!
    Well, the customer knew they could not possibly run a 10 ten system on 1" pipe. But, they did think the unit was a true varible speed "digital" scroll and it would be ok ! Serious!!!

P.S. I just saw your edit a little bit ago!! I'll tell them to call you next time!!

Post Likes
    Well, the customer knew they could not possibly run a 10 ten system on 1" pipe. But, they did think the unit was a true varible speed "digital" scroll and it would be ok ! Serious!!!

P.S. I just saw your edit a little bit ago!! I'll tell them to call you next time!!
    Thanks, but no thanks.

Post Likes
    With the Micro coils the head will spike at startup then come back down to normal operating conditions. On a hot day it should not spike much over five hundred psig. If you must weigh in the charge subtact about five percent of what it says on the tag. If you overcharge just a little, it will trip. There should be a charging procedure in the OM book, that is the best way to charge it up. Again, if you have any restriction in the drier you will have problems.

Post Likes
    He might be ok charging it up now since he added a small receiver to the system.

Quote Originally Posted by chilbrig View Post
    With the Micro coils the head will spike at startup then come back down to normal operating conditions. On a hot day it should not spike much over five hundred psig. If you must weigh in the charge subtact about five percent of what it says on the tag. If you overcharge just a little, it will trip. There should be a charging procedure in the OM book, that is the best way to charge it up. Again, if you have any restriction in the drier you will have problems.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chilbrig View Post

Yeah i blocked off the condensor to 120° CST and gave it 18° SC.

Post Likes
    He might be ok charging it up now since he added a small receiver to the system.
    I know i didn't want to add the dryer. Would have been much easier just to go back in w/ the 165s. But, my Boss talked the owner into doing the replacable core as thier maintenace men will be able to replace it on the fly as needed!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks, but no thanks.
    What a D!ck!!!

Nah, he aint a bad guy afterall!! Thanks for the 33% tip Carrene. Well definetly look into it if this compressor decides to lock up!!!
    Last edited by KB Cool; 11-01-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Post Likes
    I guess the boss wins over common sense what is there a whopping 9 pounds or refrigerant in that machine.

I know i didn't want to add the dryer. Would have been much easier just to go back in w/ the 165s. But, my Boss talked the owner into doing the replacable core as thier maintenace men will be able to replace it on the fly as needed!!!

Post Likes
    I guess the boss wins over common sense what is there a whopping 9 pounds or refrigerant in that machine.
    8.6 lbs. There's about eleven in it now!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in